Add an option to split MP4 file

Ferco

Hello,

Would be nice to see an option to split large local recording files into smaller files similar to an option in XSplit. I sometimes record 100 Mbps for a few hours and I would like the files to be split at certain intervals for peace of mind, in case something goes wrong :)

Cheers,
Ferco

zerocul

Re: Add a option to split MP4 file

Yep, that would be cool. For example, Youtube have problem with converting videos longer than 5 hours (HD quality not appears :( ). Split local VOD's without stop/starting stream would be very useful.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer

I am aware of it, quite an annoying problem, been told about it about it a very very large number of times.

WayZHC

And would be nice if it makes a subfolder (subfolder naming could be something like "*date* - *time*" (stream start time)) for every stream so easier to find all the files instead having all the past streams in same folder.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer

You could split them yourself after recording, there are many tools available to do this. If you're worried about recordings being corrupted if OBS crashes, record in .flv instead as it does not require post-processing at the end of the stream.

WayZHC

R1CH said:
You could split them yourself after recording, there are many tools available to do this. If you're worried about recordings being corrupted if OBS crashes, record in .flv instead as it does not require post-processing at the end of the stream.

Hmmm okay .flv will be more secure and there are a lot of free and/or paid tools for converting them to another file format before editing. :p

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper

You can convert FLVs to MP4 with no re-encoding required for free with ffmpeg.

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper

The command is

ffmpeg -i originalvideo.flv -acodec copy -vcodec copy newvideo.mp4

Ferco

Thank you for the replies.
I've switched to recording in .flv and I tried the command by dodgepong and it works perfectly. I've used ffmpeg before and I also found this piece of code on another forum by poisondeathray to create a batch file for this process:
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/356113-FLV-into-Premiere-CS6?p=2242153&viewfull=1#post2242153

"
1) place copy of ffmpeg.exe in directory of videos to be re-wrapped

2) open a text file in notepad in the same directory as videos to be converted

3) copy & paste the following , save it, rename the .txt extension to .bat

Code:
for %%a in ("*.flv") do ffmpeg -i %%a -vcodec copy -acodec copy %%~na.mp4
pause

4) double click the .bat

"

Cheers,
Ferco

Ewoklive

Thx for this advice. I for some reason am also getting a PC freeze in Win7 64-bit while recording online gaming using OBS. I too have now got corrupted mp4 videos that weren't stopped because of the PC freeze where you're forced to shut down the PC. I will try record in the FLV format and convert it after. Does anybody know why for 70% it records fine and then crashes? This has happened to me about 3 times now and thought it was my RAM going... OBS is the only video recording software that keeps the file size down but having a decent RES video recorded.