Ability to preview input, not just output

Anonanon

I'm trying to play my Xbox 360 (1280x720 source) and stream it with a 852x480 output.

When preview is turned on, it only displays the 852x480 output only. I want to preview the input source instead, so I can play viewing the actual 1280x720 image. I want this input/output preview toggle to take FPS into account too, so OBS is showing me a 720p60 preview, but the stream is actually 480p30.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I don't fully understand, think you could post a screenshot of what you mean?

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
The preview window will run at the base resolution, so if you use a downscale to get to 480p you should be half way there.

Anonanon

Jim said:
I don't fully understand, think you could post a screenshot of what you mean?

My capture source is an Xbox 360, and that is 1280x720 and 60 fps.

My preferred stream settings is 852x480 (meaning 1.5x downscale in OBS) and 30 fps.

I want OBS' preview to display my source (input), not my stream result (output). I want to be seeing my Xbox 360's original 720p60 image as preview. If this is still unclear, a program like VirtualDub allows you select if you want to preview your source video or modified output.

Anonanon

4nEFf.jpg

I made a quick mock up in Photoshop, it should clear up of any remaining confusion.

My OBS is set to 852x480 @ 30 fps, and that's what I'm streaming to my audience. However the preview pane in the software is displaying my original feed directly from my Xbox 360 source, A clean 1280x720 @ 60 fps image.

As shown in the mock up, there should be an option in the right click menu to toggle the preview pane between output and input. If I tell OBS preview pane to show output instead, then it will show a 852x480 @ 30 fps image instead which is how the current version of OBS behaves.

The reason for this request is so I can play the game by directly looking at OBS' feed instead of doing a window capture of my capture card's proprietary software (which doesn't work with OBS' window capture). Currently, it is a pain to play the game by staring at a tiny 852x480 frame. 30 fps doesn't help with playing action games either.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer

As you can see here, I'm streaming at 360p, yet I have the full 1080p base resolution running on my 2nd monitor (projector mode) by using a downscale. This will help with the resolution, but not the FPS.

Anonanon

R1CH said:
As you can see here, I'm streaming at 360p, yet I have the full 1080p base resolution running on my 2nd monitor (projector mode) by using a downscale. This will help with the resolution, but not the FPS.

I tried out projector mode last night, and I could see how it could help. The problem is it doesn't take FPS into account (as you put it) and it also forces fullscreen. I want to play console 720p with a clean image, and fullscreening to my 1920x1080 monitor doesn't really help with that. Perhaps there could be a way to use projector instead of preview, but make projector windowed, make it not fullscreen so it's 100% scale instead? Plus use the source's FPS.