Ability to divorce copies of copied windows.

For my stereoscopy to work right I have to be assured that my left eyes and right eyes are properly positioned and properly size.

I would just copy the left eye and paste it on the right eye unfortunately all the cameras and videos on the right I have to be divorced from the corresponding pictures on the left eye.

When you copy something there's no way you could divorce the corresponding copies.

I don't understand what the original logic behind copies being bound to each other forcefully is, but that logic does not work in stereoscopy.

khaver

Create separate left and right eye sources. Position and size the left eye. Right click the left eye source and select the Transform menu item and select "Copy transforms". Select the right eye source Transform menu item and select "Paste transforms". The right eye will size and position the same as the left eye. Go to the right eye Transform menu item and select "Edit transform". Now just adjust the horizontal position by typing is a new X position and fine tuning with the up/down arrows.

Let's call the game G the text T and camera perspectives 1, 2 , and 3 as c1 c2 and c3.

Normally it would be laid out like this on a monoscopic broadcast:

G. T
C1 c2 c3

Know I may use one or two methods to make 3D currently I use red and cyan and a monochromise the cameras to get a good black and white true 3d effect but I'm moving to color because now I have more bandwidth.

To make a 2d compatible 3D standard for broadcasting you have to keep symmetry in your left and right eye

The two choices I'm considering are 16x9 side by side half and 32x9 side by side full shrunk to middle half the screen, was text on the top and bottom saying for more convenient 3D and compatible 2D viewing visit a certain website I'm going to come up with put it on the top force and the bottom fourth of the page.

For the 3D to be perfect when broadcasting assuming no other problems are present you have to align the left and right eyes vertically, and align the pictures horizontally so that they follow repeat symmetry (not mirror symmetry)
So if there were eight elements that had to be lined up labeled a through h then the corresponding left eye and right eye is lined up as such:

a b c d e f g h a b c d e f g h

So copyibg and pasting this:
G......T...
C1 c2 c3

I get

G.......T..... G.......T...
C1 C2 C3 C1 C2 C3

That's if I copy.

Then when I try to change the C1 on the right to c4, then the C1 on the left also turns into a c4.

By the way the way I do 3D is take two separate monoscopic cameras and lay them in a strategic place to make 3D just like the way real humans eyes see.

Ideally c1c2 and C3 are supposed to be the left eyes of perspective one two and three and c4 C5 and C6 are supposed to be the right eyes of perspectives one two and three.

The problem is what I copy that layout and paste that layout which is the easiest way I could do this without a bunch of finagling and micromanaging, the problem is that each corresponding video element is married to the copy. I know that copying some things are good but there's no way to copy a layout while at the same time having the video sources be separate.

This is the easiest way I could position it and be assured of good stereoscopy the only thing I need is to be able to divorce all the copies from each other.

I don't understand what's so hard about adding an option of divorcing copies so that layout wise they're identical but content wise they're different.

That would be the easiest solution for me. It could default the copies are normally married and you have to do something actively to divorce the copies. So it's not to screw up the system you already have, all copies start out as married by definition and to keep consistent with all your other plans but if you wanted to do stereoscopy or other features that might want to divorce copies then a divorce copy feature would allow a separate video source of the same site shape size and position but different content. That way if a lot of features are dependent on married copies your default to the married being on and then you have to manually divorce them if you want them to be separate cameras but the same layout. I'm trying to find the least invasive way to do this.

Just wondering why divorced copies can't be made.

Last edited:
I don't know if you understand what I'm trying to do it's like a complex layout of five screens each of them with a left eye and right eye. So first I composed one eye the way I liked it. Then copied it change the size/ratio moved it all the way to the left pasted move the other to the right.

The problem is that the copies of the left eye in the right eye are married to each other so that they can't have two separate sources on the copied copies. If you change the copy the original one changes to the new simultaneously.

I don't understand this other method but what's wrong with the divorcing of copies?

The other way you described doing it only assumes I'm using one camera in stereoscope with no other graphics or secondary cameras involved.

I still haven't received a reply about what is so impractical about divorcing copies? If I copy a five camera layout and paste it and want to make the left and right layout respective, what harm could be done if I could change the five individual left eye cameras to five right eyes.

It seems like more harm is done by copying and pasting a layout and actually "marrying" the content of the left eye right eye.

I don't know why copies are undivorceable but that is a really big issue with me. That is the easiest way to make sure stereoscopic copies are right for the left eye as a hole in the right eye as a whole when it's divided into different parts yes I can't utilize it because I can't divorce the left eye components from the right eye components.

I don't understand the method you're talking about. But why does a copy not only automatically copy everything about the window from its size position and content as well as effects yet you cannot divorce content left from content right.

I don't know what the original design decision in making them undivorceable was, if you can't think of a reason why copies of canera windows should automatically be married and never be divorced, maybe you should work on being able to divorce the copies content wise.

I found a perfectly good feature in divorcing them. I don't know what good reason there is to keep them undivorceable.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Can you provide a log file that shows the sources you're having issues with? If I'm understanding the problem correctly, the source is only allowing you to paste a reference, instead of a duplicate, correct? I think there's a lot of long-winded explanation that is confusing what the actual problem here is. Log file and the specific sources in question that you're having issues with would probably help sort it out quicker.

I'll tell you how you can repeat the error make a complex layout like one word for a 3D presentation.

Select the window and then hit control a for all then control C for copy move it somewhere and then control V for Paste.

Assuming all the ones you copied were the left eye and the copy itself is the right eye of each of those various perspectives changing one on the left will automatically change the one on the right and vice versa so that those corresponding pairs are never divorced.

You could divorce the sizes in other words making one bigger than the other I believe you could divorce the positions obviously you could probably divorce the effects. But for some strange reason you can't divorce the sources.

By the way when I'm using the word divorce that means the copy and the original are tied together it cannot be split up in a certain way after they've been copied with the control C control V method.

The theory behind doing it that way is so that the exact layouts of the windows are preserved like a Swiss cheese slice so that the camera in the upper right hand corner will line up on both eyes.

Oh by the way I read something I didn't understand what you were saying but I noticed there was a way you could type in positions if you're willing to do a little math you can have exact sizes and positions by typing in numbers.

Now it's less of a priority now that I figured out typing exact sizes and positions

Still waiting on that log file.
How do I get a log file? I thought those only come up if there's an error which kills the execution of obs. I don't know what's going on. I tried to describe how to recreate my problem of copied windows always matching twins.

If this is in the suggestions folder I didn't say I came up with a solution to it I just said that was a problem that needed to be addressed.

By the way I found a way around it so it could be moved down in priority. I could just do the math and make two different Windows of the same size and exactly half a screen distance apart for side by side half 3D.

You could knock it back a few pegs in priority and maybe even, if copies always matching their parents is desirable, forget about this.

If I misunderstood what this section was for, I'm sorry.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
If you have a workaround, that's fine. This section is for providing suggestions for OBS, but what you were describing sounds like you're just a bit confused on certain ways that OBS works and how it handles copying/pasting sources. There's two ways to copy and paste a source, a reference, or a duplicate. Reference sources will share filters and other properties, where duplicated sources will be entirely independent. Some sources cannot be duplicated because they can only be captured a single time (such as video capture device sources), which is why I was asking you the very specific questions I was asking. If that was the issue, then there's nothing we need to do or change, but if it's something else, then maybe it would be something we can look at. You've entered the conversation assuming that this is a limitation that cannot be worked around, when from my side, that's not the case at all, and there are ways to accomplish it, I just need to understand exactly what you're doing inside OBS with what sources, filters, etc.

In the future, it might be better to take a step back and try to answer the questions that are presented, instead of ignoring them and going on a rant about something completely different. It doesn't help either party when you talk past them.

Am I correct that the log files indicate what errors are caused? Meaning if there was a stoppage in OBS that the logs would show what happened. Also would that mean if there was no stoppage in OBS then a log file would not be created?

If that's the case then the log files, unless there's something I'm missing, would probably tell us nothing.

Also I don't know how to bring up the log files except when an error comes up.

But I tried to do the best I can by explaining how I got the runtime error to come up. It was just using the control A, control C, and control V copy paste that was causing issues with the copy always equaling the original in content. Change either the original or the copy and both change.

Is that the intended effect or is that an error.

As I said, I learned to deal with it by doing some math. Also looks better when I try to keep the pixels even.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
No, log files are not just errors. Log files contain a multitude of information, including sources, filters, etc. They do log certain warnings and errors as well, yes, but mostly it's information on how OBS is configured that helps us understand the current setup and what might be the issue.

Help -> Log Files -> Upload Current Log will generate a quick link to share the current log file.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
As for copying/pasting sources, it depends on the source. As mentioned, some source types cannot be duplicated, and others can. Without knowing exactly what source type you're trying to copy, the behavior might be different. There are two ways to paste a source as well, for those that support it, either Paste Reference, or Paste Duplicate. Those are two very different end results.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
It's also worth noting that you can copy a source's transform and paste it onto another source to give it the same transform. Right click the source > Transform > Copy/Paste Transform, or Ctrl + Shift + C/V