Ability to add another stream as source?

Cortexian

I'd like to be able to broadcast my view of a game, beside a friends view of the game who is also streaming. When I tried this with xSplit and did some research into it, apparently Twitch doesn't allow it.

Would it be possible to counter this with OBS to OBS communication or something? Example: My friend streams directly to me, and then I can add his stream as a source in mine?

Quirinus

I don't know exactly what streaming setup you're using, but you can open a window of your friend's stream on twitch and set OBS to capture the window, and turn on Sub-region and select just the video on the page. Try with aero enabled, otherwise other stuff can get over it. Then just add your other source and tile them or place them however you like. I just tried it, and it worked for me.

EDIT:
ah you want the source from twitch... well, what I described is a workaround for it, not ideal, but it works

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
Cortexian said:
Would it be possible to counter this with OBS to OBS communication or something? Example: My friend streams directly to me, and then I can add his stream as a source in mine?
If you set up your own RTMP server (crtmpserver, nginx with RTMP moddule, Red5, Wowza, etc.) your friend can stream to that and then you would have direct access to the stream feed. However, there's still the issue of adding it to OBS, and OBS currently doesn't (yet) support RTMP sources.

I think OBS will one day support RTMP sources, but until then, I recommend using a program called vMix to do some really cool video mixing stuff, including adding RTMP sources. I use it to stream multiple camera angles in Tribes Ascend casts and it works great.

Cortexian

So I've done a bit of reading, and with dogepong's guide to setting up an nginx RTMP server and the current video plugin, would this be possible now in OBS? Ideally I want other people from the Internet to be able to steam to an RTMP server I'm hosting, and then I want to be able to capture their streams as separate sources in OBS. That way I can show multiple game captures at once on different streams.

Here's what I'm imagining based on my current setup:

Other Streamers --> Internet --> My Modem --> Router --> Switch --> Virtual Machine (VM) Host --> nginx-rtmp VM.

Then I want to be able to capture those streams as sources on my main PC and "mix" them using OBS:

nginx-rtmp VM --> VM Host --> Switch --> Main PC --> OBS Source.

Possible? Would really appreciate some assistance or direction to an existing guide for setting something like this up. From what I can tell, most of the nginx RTMP guides are only showing me how to broadcast my own footage to the server and then broadcast it to Twitch from there, or instead of broadcasting to twitch, to my own flash player.

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
Yes, the latest Video source plugin should be able to play RTMP sources now, so what you want to do is certainly feasible.