99% Skipped frames due to encoding lag on Threadripper 3970x

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
NVENC can usually handle a few concurrent sessions but it can't hurt to try turning it off.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
How are your PCI-e lanes set up? Are you sure your video card is getting full bandwidth? Check with GPU-Z.

Rewire

Looks fine.
Untitled.png

rockbottom

Sorry had to run out to pick up my kids yearbook from school.

Looks like some weirdness going on here. I'm still running Windows 1903 so I can't test but I suggest you check to make sure HAGS is disabled.

rockbottom

Yep, I saw that you're on 2004 in the logs that's why I suggested you make sure HAGS is disabled since I know that it's been causing trouble on some systems.

I just wonder if the USB monitor software is somehow playing a part in this....

Rewire

It's one of the highest quality USB Monitors on the market, it doesn't use any software per-se, just a driver to transcode video output from the GPU into something the monitor can output. I previously used it on a transportable PC build to play games at 1080p60.

EDIT: I'm going to try installing the latest driver package and seeing if that makes a difference. I didn't realize there was an update or that they released updates for it at all.

Rewire

Still scratching my head about this one.

Doesn't seem to matter whether the USB monitor is plugged in or not, x264 or NVENC both drop or fail to render tons of frames while streaming. Shadowplay broadcast seems to work BETTER, but also not fine either.

Perhaps all my different monitors are the issue?

rockbottom

GM

I'm right there with ya.

It would hurt to give it a try, disconnect (2) monitors & set the refresh rate to 60Hz on the remaining (2) for the test.

Rewire

Looks like the amount of monitors is the problem....

I can't disconnect them I use them daily for work that's going to be too much of a hassle.

Maybe something the devs can work on optimizing? I can't reasonably be expected to unplug or disable 3 monitors AND stop playing at 165hz every day just to stream.

Last edited:

Rewire

I think the problem is that all my monitors have different frame rates and resolutions, not the amount of monitors.

I think my final option would be get a card specifically for just driving the non-gaming monitors, and keep the gaming monitor restricted to ONLY the 2080ti.

I just bought a 1050 ti LP to drive my non-gaming monitors, I'll update this thread with my results once I have it installed.

rockbottom

Gotcha

I think adding a second GPU is going to cause you even more trouble....

For now, hook the (4) monitors back up (leave the USB monitor out for the time being). Set the refresh rate on your 1440p monitors to 120Hz & the 1080p monitors to 60Hz. Try streaming & see how it goes.

When you're not streaming, play at 165Hz.

Rewire

Worst case, I'll return the 1050 ti if it causes issues or doesn't change the results.

I have 88 PCI-E lanes with the Threadripper TRX40 platform, may as well use them....

Previously, I streamed just fine using an 8086k. I used the iGPU to drive all my non-gaming monitors, and only had the gaming monitor plugged into my 2080ti. Threadripper doesn't have an integrated GPU, so this is my only real option.

I'm not a big streamer at all, so if I can never stream because of this issue, it won't affect me personally.