Question / Help 70%+ Lag/Stall while recording (Need Help)

Nino_Z

Hello,

I've recently changed my RAM from 16GB 2400 to 16GB 3200. I also got a new Monitor and reinstalled Windows 10 (clean)

I used to be able to record everything without any problems. Now suddenly I have huge frame drops while recording. This change appears to have happened after replacing my RAM, but I see no reason for it. If I play games without recording my framerates are at 95 - 115fps without issues. As soon as I record they drop down extremely. My GPU does not run hot, it's at 100% but that's normal. My CPU appears to be fine, my RAM looks fine too when I check it in the Task Manager.

Log File:
https://obsproject.com/logs/lk8cXeLvyauiwU39

I've tried changing Nvidia Drivers (I am using a 1080 Amp Extreme) - no effect
I've tried different settings - barely any changes
I've capped the games - nothing (same games recorded fine a week ago)

I hope someone can help me cause I am seriously desperate here.

DKRecords

Did you enable the X.M.P Profile for your Ram in your Bios.... If not your ram will run stock at 2133 Mhz NOT 3200Mhz. Check that!

Nino_Z

The issue you think he's having is NOT what the log is showing as being the problem.
I am super confused - it used to work fine a few days ago. I have a bunch of recordings that work like a charm from a week ago. Also, what I find strange is that whenever I delete OBS and select to have user settings removed as well - the settings remain anyway! Everything is as it was once I install the application again. I've tested Fraps so I can have a point of refference - my FPS drops by 50% there once I start recording, which is way too much as well.

Nino_Z

So I've just lowered the settings slightly and recorded some with fraps - it holds 60fps without problems. The same thing with OBS leads to 3-10fps. No idea what is going on here...

Nino_Z

CPU-Z.jpg

I have also added the RAM page. I ran Memtest for 4 cycles and it was without issues.
Even when I run a recording without encoding, the framerate is not quite as good as it was a week ago with encoding. This is crazy. Thanks a lot for your help, I am getting desperate here.

koala

Ah, your GPU is not correctly seated. It has x1 pci-express speed (seen in the bus interface setting after the @). It must show x16 on both sides of the @. Either you didn't plugged it in correctly after you changed the RAM, or you plugged it in a different slot than before. In most mainboards, it is required to plug in a single GPU card into the slot nearest to the CPU. Other wide slots are only used if you have a SLI setup with multiple GPU cards.

Nino_Z

Oh my god, I have to check that! It would explain everything! But I think it's in as deep as it can be... But doesn't it say x16 3.0 @ x1 1.1? Doesn't that mean that it's in the 16 slot? I understand, it's supposed to say x16 there, right? I will switch things up and see if it helps. I will report afterwards.

Harold

No it doesn't mean it's properly in the x16 slot.
It means it's an x16 card.

the lane count (x16/x8/x4/x2/x1) is determined at system boot when the card is detected.
A video card running at x1 means only a small number of things
1> It's not seated properly in the slot
2> It's in the wrong slot
3> the card is damaged
4> the slot is damaged

koala

In GPU-Z, in the bus interface setting, the left side of the @ shows the maximum capability of the card. It's capable of x16 speed with 3.0 protocol.

At the right side of the @, it shows what is actually being used. Here, x16 must be visible all times if the card is supposed to operate with x16 speed. The protocol is switched dynamically between 1.0 and 3.0 according to power saving state. If the card is loaded with some 3d application, it will show 3.0. In simple Windows desktop, it will probably show 1.1. Older mainboards only support 2.0, but your system is capable of 3.0. Your card must show "x16 3.0 @ x16 3.0" if you click on the ? right to the Bus Interface field and start the rendering test, since this will load the GPU with some work.

Nino_Z

GPU-Z.gif

Guys I cannot thank you enough! Thanks so much for your help! Everything works like a charm now. No idea what was wrong, the GPU looked like it was sitting perfectly, but re-inserted it to be safe and the problem is fixed. I can record without any slowdowns whatsoever. I was so scared there for a moment that I had broken the GPU!

Special thanks to Harold and Koala!

I have one last question - what file format would you recommend I save as? Harold's signature tells me that mp4 is the wrong answer... :D

Harold

If you genuinely need multi-track audio, MKV is preferred for that.
Otherwise, MKV or FLV.

If you need to convert to MP4 for editing, File - Remux Recordings in the OBS window.

Nino_Z

What about Lossless? I have huge amounts of space. Over 1TB. Wouldn't lossless be the best choice in such a case?

I am recording on a USB 3.0 External HDD

Last edited: