7.1 audio wont import to almost anything

Billycar11

so i have a 7.1 setup with an onkyo 6100
if i record it in obs nothing will import the tracks just leaves the audio gone.
the only thing i find can play it is vlc.
but if i swap to 5.1 it works fine everywhere i think there is something wrong with 7.1 recording its working but not in most things like my editor davinci resolve.

AaronD

What are you using 8 channels for? Is it really 7.1 surround? Or is it 4 stereo pairs or something else?

I tried briefly with OBS set for 4.0 surround, with the idea of sending all 4 channels to the Monitor as 2 stereo pairs. One would be for videos and the other for control signals to external gear, since there isn't a good way (yet!) to control what I need to control. But OBS's panner doesn't do that. That part seems to be hard-coded for stereo regardless of the overall channel count. So I put it back to stereo and set the control signal to a 20kHz sine (generated externally). A pair of crossover filters easily separates that from the program sound, and then I can run the audio chain normally.

Based on that and what you describe, I don't think OBS gets a lot of testing beyond mono, stereo, and the occasional 5.1 with no channel mixing, so I wouldn't be surprised if it still has a few bugs outside of those uses.

Billycar11

its real surround sound 7 individual speakers 1 subwoofer through a onkyo 6100 hdmi 2.1 avr. most games support it pretty much just use obs for game recording every now and then for backing up old family VHS and audio tapes but dont need 7.1 for that its probably mono.
for now i just set it to 5.1 not a big deal losing side channels but it would be nice to record my full audio.

Billycar11

so here's an example of it the audio is bugged in most players how exactly do i report this github?
also yes i know video is bad quality its because i have it set to 1080p but my screen is 4k when i normally record its 1080120hz
well i guess i cant attach it ill just put it on my google drive.

Billycar11

logs for report
also audio clips horrible if you can get the audio to play only if you set it to 32bit float it does not clip but then channel mapping is wrong

Attachments

• 2023-06-26 00-25-48.txt
    16.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 2023-06-26 02-45-26.txt
    13.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 2023-06-26 05-17-47.txt
    17.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 2023-06-26 05-30-18.txt
    17.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 2023-06-26 05-37-07.txt
    21.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 2023-06-26 05-45-35.txt
    13.4 KB · Views: 18

rockbottom

Follow the guide above & this may help too.

⚠ IMPORTANT WARNING: make sure to select the same channel layout as your input (if you have a 4.1 audio source do not select 7.1). If you don't, channel mixing may (or may not) occur. There is an automatic channel rematrixing when either downmixing or upmixing is mandated by a difference in channel layouts between source and output. This channel rematrixing mixes channels in general. Or it can remove a channel (ex: 3.1 source to 4.0 output removes the LFE channel).

Dolby: Streams can be encoded in ac3/eac (using Output > Advanced > Custom FFmpeg recording > stream to URL). But support of the various streaming services or web players has not been tested. Capture of Bolby can be tricky if the channels are lumped into two PCM channels; in order to be decoded correctly and encoded all the channels should be held in different PCM channels.

Last edited:

rockbottom

I just looked at the specs for your Onkyo, it appears that it doesn't support true 7.1 playback.

1687791146510.png

Billycar11

I just looked at the specs for your Onkyo, it appears that it doesn't support true 7.1 playback.

View attachment 95404
I dont think that's the issue here as I can hear the 7.1 fine in real life I think they just messed up the product page in the online manual and during setup it has a 7.1 setup section and it works fine hear each speaker individually when playing the windows test sound but obs does not seem to record it in a way most players can use

But I will check out the suround sound guide see if I'm missing anything from there.

rockbottom

Of course you can hear 7.1 but those (2) back channels are only a "matrix" of the surrounds. True 7.1, all channels are discrete.

Billycar11

Of course you can hear 7.1 but those (2) back channels are only a "matrix" of the surrounds. True 7.1, all channels are discrete.
by matrix of the surrounds are you saying i cant get sounds to play out the rear without the side ones also playing? if so i can say thats not the case i can also say i can have both the side and rear play different sounds at the same time.
i think the marketing is just confusing since they can also be configured to be the height speakers for atmos why they say 5.2.2
but even so why would this mess up obs it would be blind to the changes the avr is processing windows is still set to 7.1 and outputting as such im doing internal capture not through hdmi

Screenshot 2023-06-26 201521.jpg

Last edited:

rockbottom

Hard to say without having that unit to test/evaluate. The last time I used Onkyo equipment, Sensurround was just starting to hit theaters.

When I was testing 5.1/7.1 the only audio source I captured was the HDMI out from 3090 > SSP (loopback). I just set everything to either 5.1 or 7.1 depending on the source & it just worked.

Billycar11

Hard to say without having that unit to test/evaluate. The last time I used Onkyo equipment, Sensurround was just starting to hit theaters.

When I was testing 5.1/7.1 the only audio source I captured was the HDMI out from 3090 > SSP (loopback). I just set everything to either 5.1 or 7.1 depending on the source & it just worked.
well the capture works but just about the only thing it works in is vlc any other player says its not supported but thats not the main issue as i can use vlc fine its that it cant import to any video editor as 7.1 it breaks all the audio tracks but if i do 5.1 its fine and thats what i have been doing for now.

rockbottom

Multi-track audio was getting bugged when recording over 60FPS some time ago. Thought I read the bug was fixed a few versions back, maybe you found a regression.