Resource icon

OBS Studio 5 minute low-latency stream setup to another computer via SRT

StashCat

StashCat submitted a new resource:

5 minute low-latency stream setup to another computer via SRT - How to stream directly to another computer with as low of a latency as possible. No servers needed!

Want to stream something to another computer without fiddling with servers and with down to sub-second latency? This guide is here to help!
To begin, you need to get your local IP address.

Step 1.
Windows: open command prompt (cmd.exe) and enter ipconfig. The line you are looking for is IPv4 Address on whichever network you are connected to.

View attachment 61289

Linux: you know what you're doing...

Read more about this resource...

Th3irdEye

Can you do this externally? Or does this only work over the local network? I've tried setting this up over the internet and OBS fails to start the stream on the listener end with an external IP address. It throws "an unspecified error occurred". Local addresses seem to work fine.

StashCat

Since this just creates a server, it should work without issue. Make sure your ports are forwarded and your configuration is correct.

shennyp

I am trying this setup but do have some clarification. little confused assume the first image shows the setup in server and use the server IP ? as OBS streaming and the VLC setup in the receiving PC ( Client) ? my OBS gives error invalid path or connection url any clue ? I am using Ubuntu in server side and a PC in receiving end.

StashCat

If the server is not on the same network, you will need to configure your stream like this:
For the server (broadcaster), you need to use the server's internal IP (with hostname -I)
For the client (receiver), you use your server's external IP (with curl https://ipinfo.io/ip)
However if it's all on the same network, you can use the internal IP address on both ends.