28.0.0 Causing videos to not open

lostinthesauce

Been using OBS for a long time, today my 20+ minute recordings have not been openable in windows media player, VLC, or the video editing software I use.

I did a short test recording and it worked.

Very desperate for an answer. Seems only the video is corrupt. Audio I can still get to open?

Here is the link to my log: https://obsproject.com/logs/wR5ecIzCR8N2NR85

PaiSand

Please use the Auto-configuration Wizard (tools menu) and apply the recommended settings. Restart OBS and test again using simple mode. Just select a desired quality in the drop down menu in Output settings.

If you want or need to record several separated audio sources then use advanced options and use CQP setting the CQ level between 23 and 15 (lower number better quality)

I have a similar problem. However I get an output file, it's just sound and no video. It's completely random. Sometimes I get video with sound. Sometimes I get just the audio.

The weird thing is the output file is enormous - it's the same size as if the video had been saved as well. I just don't get a video preview, instead I get a generic music icon for the file.

I tried the suggestion of using the "Auto-configuration Wizard" but it didn't help.

After being stuck on this for a bit I rolled back to version 27 which works perfectly.

excidium1221

I am experiencing the same thing. I typically record ~20m long videos as well (Nvidia H.264, CBR 25000 Kbs, Keyframe interval 0, Max Quality, high profile, look ahead and psycho checked, b-frames 4). Short recordings are fine (tested 30s-1m) but longer videos (not sure of where the cut-off is; ill do more testing) don't close properly or something, and thus won't load.

Joopi

Same problem here. Tried different encoders but that did not solve the problem. Some editors can open the video but without sound. As excidium1221 already reported very small files work, but longer ones not.

Angrie

Stumbled across the same problem when recording into an mp4 file. Changing the format to mkv helped.

PaiSand

People, don't ever record directly to mp4. Once corrupted is gone forever.
Always record as MKV and then remux it into mp4. This is hte most known thing about recording with OBS.
And don't use CBR for recording. Use CQP or in worst case scenario VBR.

Also, never use in production something you haven't tested yet.

lostinthesauce

People, don't ever record directly to mp4. Once corrupted is gone forever.
Always record as MKV and then remux it into mp4. This is hte most known thing about recording with OBS.
And don't use CBR for recording. Use CQP or in worst case scenario VBR.

Also, never use in production something you haven't tested yet.
Yes, MKV for life now. Lost 4 hours, not losing more.