0.48.018 rock lobster test build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
WARNING: This thread is an archived discussion of an old test build. Download the most recent version of OBS which incorporates these changes and more from https://obsproject.com/download

This is a new build with a significant number of improvements and changes, would love to have some feedback on it. The biggest tweaks have been internal, I'm testing out some new optimizations, and testing out 100 nanosecond frame timing code for more accurate frames. Also added a directx optimization, and some other memory optimizations that should hopefully improve things all around.

Also blurry downscale no more - downscale has been improved, and new filters have been added, bicubic and lanczos, for a much sharper and more detailed downscale. It removes the blur and increases detail of downscales of down to 2.0. Also added a few extra downscales as well.

I also attempted to fix a certain issue with audio packets as a workaround for twitch's youtube uploader and transcoders going out of sync. All audio packets are 100% seamless now. I would love to know if twitch's youtube uploader works or not now.

Also please post if you get increases or decreases to performance if possible.

Please direct all explosions to the nearest vacuum chamber and make sure to visit the local infirmary for injuries incurred.

0.48.018 - Pretty stable - http://sourceforge.net/projects/obsproj ... p/download
  • 018 - Fixed a text scroll bug
  • 018 - Fixed some other bug I can't remember.. what the heck was it?
  • Split window capture and monitor capture (note: old software capture sources will still work)
  • Fixed another audio bug that was causing some stuttering
  • Fixed another potential game capture bug
  • Other random bug fixes and tweaks
  • Put back in "global audio offset"
  • Added a "defaults" button to the advanced settings section

Previously on batman:

0.48.013 - 0.48.016
  • 016 - reverted a little bit of game capture code that might have been unstable
  • 015 - fixed a few bugs with game capture (might actually cause some issues with some of the code, I may revert some of it)
  • 015 - fixed issue where audio from devices could become delayed
  • 014 - fixed a few more audio bugs
  • Fixed a few remaining audio bugs
  • Fixed bug with FLV files not playing
  • Added a "Video Adapter" dropdown selector to the video settings section, can now select the video card to use for OBS (on systems that support it at least)
  • Fixed a few really annoying elgato filter crashes
  • Updated some translations
  • Made the "buffering" option with capture device sources a bit more accurate

0.48.010 - 0.48.012
  • 012 - fixed another bug with audio that was causing audio to not come in at all for some people or come in incorrectly (again)
  • 011 - fixed a potential bug with audio not coming in correctly
  • Fixed bugs in the audio subsystem, devices that were having audio playback issues (such as the blackmagic) should now play correctly, this also applies to microphones and such as well
  • Added a "use buffering" option to devices, it allows you to specify a buffering duration to allow you to delay the device, and will also cause audio/video for the device to be in-sync and play on time. This is a fix especially for elgato devices and such.
  • Other minor bugfixes and such

• Fixed issues with CBR not padding data correctly to make it fully constant bitrate
  • Fixed issue with CBR transmissions in general
  • Fixed a few minor issues with MP4/FLV files
  • Changed some potentially unsafe code around (new circular list class) in an attempt to get rid of a potential memory leak that could be caused by it
  • Removed a bad memory leak in devices

• Fixed 64bit game capture problems
  • Fixed SC2 scene switcher so ti doesn't break anymore.
  • Fixed a minor memory leak but still haven't located the "bad" memory leak if there is one
  • Fixed a bug in the first frame related to the frame
  • Fixed PSeye devices (I think)
  • Changing the allocator back, it should now properly show memory leaks in the log file if any

• Added a new noise gate plugin, courtesy of lucas murray
  • Added an optional tray notification icon (configured via general settings) courtesy of foxx1338
  • Added bicubic and lanczos downscale filters for sharper and more detailed downscaling
  • Added more downscales, such as 1.25, 1.75, 2.5, 2.75
  • Attempting a new frame timing technique that is accurate to 100 nanoseconds, should reduce frame jitter
  • Added an optimization to the directx pipeline
  • Made some nice optimizations throughout the app in general
  • Fixed audio data so that all audio segments are seamless, this should hopefully fix the twitch transcoder and youtube upload sync issues, and also made MP4 audio fully seamless as well
  • Added a feature to delay video capture device sources
  • Fixed a bug where some cursors wouldn't properly display in game capture and win8 capture
  • (Needs verification) Fixed a bug that caused the app to crash when moving users in teamspeak while streaming
  • Added crossbar options to video capture device sources courtesy of paibox
  • Tons of other things that I just can't even remember, contributions have been growing and features have been increasing rapidly

xD4rkFire

Re: 0.48.003 experimental test build

Hey Jim, would it be possible to give a quick rundown on what the settings within the new Microphone Noise Gate do? There doesn't seem to be any documentation about what these settings do.

Microphone Noise Gate
Attack Time
Hold Time
Release Time

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer

I.. actually have no clue, I haven't really spent time looking at it.

XeiZ

Its just a simple normal noisegate you can read about those here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_gate

"Noise Gates have a Threshold control to set the level at which the gate will open. More advanced noise gates have more features. The Release sets the amount of time for the gate to go from open to fully closed. A fast release abruptly cuts off the sound once it has fallen below the threshold, a slower release smoothly changes from open to closed, much like a slow fade out. If the release time is too short a click can be heard when the gate re-opens. Release is the most common control to find on a gate, after Threshold.

A noise gate without hysteresis can open and close undesirably with a fluctuating signal. With hysteresis the noise gate does not 'chatter'.
The Attack control sets the time for the gate to change from closed to open, much like a fade-in. The Hold control allows you to define the amount of time the gate will stay open after the signal falls below the threshold. This is useful during short pauses between words or sentences in a speech signal."

Joe33345

Noise Gate works basically the same as Voice Activation on Teamspeak or Ventrilo. It's actually pretty ingenious. I have alot of background noise that gets caught by my camera and I usually have to mute it because of that. This allows me to leave my mic on, talk to fellow viewers, casters and not worry about that Minecraft background noise of the constantly crying Dog and Cat. lol.

Jim. I gotta say man. This is the best release I've ever seen of OBS by far. It is soooo awesome :D! I was testing out BioShock Infinite on Stream and it really was much smoother than it normally was. I was wondering whether this was 30fps or 60fps since I was so used to the frame stutter. It seriously is nothing but awesome.

The capture card delay function will work for my drumming setup very well :D. Now I just need to make sure my camera doesn't go out of sync, but that's for another day. Thanks again man for this awesome program :D! Now all we need is video/audio file playback and I'd bet people would fly over here from XSplit. lol

JoeNumbers

Affinitii

World of Warcraft still cannot be attached to in the 64bit version of OBS. Has been an issue since test 7 or so, error logs don't show anything unusual, but it simply shows a black screen.

bilehazard

Other features include data transmitted during Preview/Start a stream. No more gray window when not Previewing/Streaming, Fullscreen preview mode.

I've also noticed that OBS uses about 10%-15% more cpu then Test11.

Warchamp7

Forum Admin

bilehazard said:
Other features include data transmitted during Preview/Start a stream.

That's a debug type of thingy that will probably not pop up in the release build

tHesR5

10-15%? That's a lot...

bilehazard said:
Other features include data transmitted during Preview/Start a stream. No more gray window when not Previewing/Streaming, Fullscreen preview mode.

I've also noticed that OBS uses about 10%-15% more cpu then Test11.

Minituff

This is great. Is there a way you could add an option to disable the arrow keys?

I have started using OBS as my primary streaming/recording program. I just have one problem that as far as I know, would be a pretty easy fix. I need a way to disable the arrow keys. I use OBS to record my gameplay, and when I end up using one of the arrow keys in game, it switches the Scene. I looked through the settings and did quite a bit of Googling and it looks like this feature just comes stock in OBS. I am completely in love with this program, but I might not be able to use it because of this one little problem.
Thanks for reading. Any help would be great.

Warchamp7

Forum Admin

Scenes don't have hotkeys by default, the only way your arrow keys would change the scene is if you set them to do that or if OBS is focused and you last left-clicked on a Scene in the list.

Or something broke really badly.

Minituff

Warchamp7 said:
Scenes don't have hotkeys by default, the only way your arrow keys would change the scene is if you set them to do that or if OBS is focused and you last left-clicked on a Scene in the list.

Or something broke really badly.

Yeah, I think I figured it out (Sort of). I have my numberpad set to switch my scenes. I went in and disabled all my scene hotkeys, and then pressing the arrow keys did nothing. So the problem is, somehow the numpad keys are linked in a way to the arrow keys, I still dont know why that is though

Warchamp7

Forum Admin

Was Numlock off? Numpad 8 is technically the Up Arrow key when Numlock is off, etc.

ball2hi

Im giving this test build a try. So far from a 10min stream it does feel like it's using 5 - 10% more CPU, but then again I hardly monitor my CPU anymore since I found stability in 480 so I might be wrong. The 10min stream did look like it had better quality and much smoother than before so I'll do some more testing with this.

Minituff

Warchamp7 said:
Was Numlock off? Numpad 8 is technically the Up Arrow key when Numlock is off, etc.

Alright I was able to figure it out.
It looks like there are "two" settings on the number pad, you can set the hotkeys with the num lock on, and set it again with num lock off. OBS will let you set it if num lock is on or off. So, I just had my hotkeys set under the wrong num lock setting. Where it was able to be affected by the arrow keys.
I don't know if I was able to explain that right, but the problem is fixed, and I hope this will help anyone else with the same problem as me.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Petch

Oh man I've been waiting for noise gate.

I'll mess around with this build for a few hours on Saturday and edit this post

ball2hi

Alright so I did a much longer stream. it seems the stream is much smoother (for 30 FPS?) but lost some quality.

Warchamp7

Forum Admin

Minituff said:
Warchamp7 said:

Alright I was able to figure it out.
It looks like there are "two" settings on the number pad, you can set the hotkeys with the num lock on, and set it again with num lock off. OBS will let you set it if num lock is on or off. So, I just had my hotkeys set under the wrong num lock setting. Where it was able to be affected by the arrow keys.
I don't know if I was able to explain that right, but the problem is fixed, and I hope this will help anyone else with the same problem as me.

Thanks everyone for your help!
The numpad is basically two sets of keys, that's why they (generally) have two different labels on them. Numlock on makes them numbers, Numlock off makes them their other setting.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer

More CPU? That's strange, it should be using less CPU, not more.

Also there is no difference in quality, I didn't change anything related to quality

Status
Not open for further replies.