0.43a test feedback thread - please post your feedback

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Hey everybody, the daily build thread is a bit annoying to work with. I figured I could use some feedback on certain versions before I release them, so I'm going to occasionally makes threads for new test builds when necessary. This version may be slightly unstable because I'm testing out some big performance optimizations that make use of multithreading -- could you guys let me know if this causes issues for you at all? Also feedback on the color key feature in the directshow plugin would be welcome.

The questions I would have are - do the new optimizations help, or do they cause problems? CPU usage should be a bit higher with the app, so are your games being affected at all by this version in comparison to previous versions? Is the color key option not good enough?

Please also post any bugs or feedback on any new features if possible.

32bit version -- 64bit version

0.43a test build 2
  • Fullscreen game capture is on hold to make room for other features -- worked on it for literally a week and a half straight without working on anything else, so it's going to be delayed until I get some other more important features out, and until I can actually finish and optimize it.
  • DirectShow plugin: Added color key option for blue/greenscreens (Select button on color key still doesn't work, you'll have to double-click the color itself for now)
  • DirectShow plugin: Made resolution automatically chosen unless "custom resolution" is used
  • DirectShow plugin: Greatly improved performance for avermedia cards
  • Optimized certain parts of the stream renderer to make use of multithreading
  • Improved network system- switched to code that gives better bandwidth throughput
  • Fixed bug that caused annoying flicker on the status bar
  • Fixed issue that caused frames to drop too much
  • Text output in progress

hilalpro

there is definitely some performance improvement! at least at early game.. i no longer have to put obs.exe priority above the games priority to maintain the specified max fps value.

one thing i still find annoying though is the auto preview feature whenever i click start streaming.. so i have to disable that everytime and go check the preview at flash player's end.

for some reason i can't get my laptop webcam to work on obs. (no errors or anything, its just a black screen) the codec is packed YUV 4:2:2 Y:U:Y:Y (YUY2)

Woona

Tried to cap some Street Fighter x Tekken, didn't even cap'd the menu.
Also Torchlight capturing doesnt work for me too.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
referring to fullscreen capture, woona? yea, it's pretty buggy and unstable -- I had to put it on hold for now though.

Ramthen

Performance wise, everything seems slightly better on my Q 720M. I'm averaging slightly higher FPS. On 0.421a I was hitting peaks as low as 20 FPS and as high as 25 FPS, on 0.43a [test version 2] I peaked as low as 21 FPS and as high as 26 FPS.
I didn't pay as much attention to my networking, but my other device while streaming which is usually around 45 ping when not streaming and sometimes going to 110 ping on 0.421a never went over 100 that I saw on this version.
I never had an issue with framedrops and I don't have an avermedia card so I cannot comment on those changes.

All that said, I didn't test for very long, but that is just my initial impressions.

Feature wise, it took me a while to figure out how to change the color in color key. I was trying to press "Select" over and over but it wasn't doing anything for me it seemed. After a while I realized I was supposed to double click the actual color being shown. Is this intended or is the "Select" button actually what you're supposed to click like I thought it was?

The only other thing I noticed is the first frame when I start streaming is sometimes just a full-screen green colored frame. It's only that first frame and doesn't happen all the time and afterwards it's fine, so it's not that big of an issue, just something I noticed. I'm still trying to figure it out, as it could be me causing it somehow. Example.

EDIT: Yeah, I have no idea what the green frame is. I thought maybe it was my computer was being too taxed from being in dota where I can't even stream at 30 FPS because of my terrible CPU. So I changed to a Mega Man game where I use multiple sources for the game, timer, and input viewer. It didn't happen at 30 FPS, then did happen at 60 FPS twice, so I went back to 30 FPS and it did it again. But like I said, it's not that big of a deal as it is only that first frame, and I might be the only one experiencing it.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
wow, I completely forgot about the "select" button, I just.. completely forgot to add code to it. you can double-click the color to make it work in the time being, though it's not as easy that way.

I also can't seem to watch your video at the moment because twitch seems to be having issues with comcast at the moment. if possible could you post a screenshot of the green frame thing?

Ramthen

Yup, here you go. Like I say, sometimes it flashes like that on the screen at the start of the recording. Then it's all fine and everything works great, so it's not a big deal, just something I noticed and I don't know if it is supposed to be like that.

I haven't tried a local recording, I'll test that right now. I can say it doesn't show in OBS preview window at all.

EDIT: I could see it flashing but I had a hard time getting it to stop on the right frame on the local recording, but I managed to do it.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
oh, did that only just start happening this version? software capture? I think I know the issue then

Ramthen

Yes and yes. I'll try messing with video capture devices to see if it happens there.

EDIT: It does seem to be happening when only a video capture device is put into a scene. It may just be a placebo effect, but I feel like it doesn't say on screen as long this way. In fact, I'm pretty sure it doesn't but I may be crazy.

Yay, I'm helping I think!

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
ah, yes, I definitely know the issue then -- the first frames aren't cleared properly and it draws them before data is copied - by the way, what device are you using?

Ramthen

Code:
Device: USB 2.0 1.3M UVC WebCam
   type: RGB24, usingFourCC: false, res: 640x480 - 640x480, fps: 5-30
   type: RGB24, usingFourCC: false, res: 352x288 - 352x288, fps: 5-30
   type: RGB24, usingFourCC: false, res: 320x240 - 320x240, fps: 5-30
   type: RGB24, usingFourCC: false, res: 176x144 - 176x144, fps: 5-30
   type: RGB24, usingFourCC: false, res: 160x120 - 160x120, fps: 5-30
   type: RGB24, usingFourCC: false, res: 1280x800 - 1280x800, fps: 5-7
   type: RGB24, usingFourCC: false, res: 1280x1024 - 1280x1024, fps: 5-7
   type: YUY2, usingFourCC: false, res: 640x480 - 640x480, fps: 5-30
   type: YUY2, usingFourCC: false, res: 352x288 - 352x288, fps: 5-30
   type: YUY2, usingFourCC: false, res: 320x240 - 320x240, fps: 5-30
   type: YUY2, usingFourCC: false, res: 176x144 - 176x144, fps: 5-30
   type: YUY2, usingFourCC: false, res: 160x120 - 160x120, fps: 5-30
   type: YUY2, usingFourCC: false, res: 1280x800 - 1280x800, fps: 5-7
   type: YUY2, usingFourCC: false, res: 1280x1024 - 1280x1024, fps: 5-7

I don't know if it's set to YUY2 or RGB24, but I had it at 640x480 30fps. I never use my webcam though and was just testing with it.

XeiZ

-snip- I´m an idiot and messed something up, not obs fault. =) Will compare them anyway later!

hilalpro

Ramthen said:
Code:
Device: USB 2.0 1.3M UVC WebCam
   type: RGB24, usingFourCC: false, res: 640x480 - 640x480, fps: 5-30
   type: RGB24, usingFourCC: false, res: 352x288 - 352x288, fps: 5-30
   type: RGB24, usingFourCC: false, res: 320x240 - 320x240, fps: 5-30
   type: RGB24, usingFourCC: false, res: 176x144 - 176x144, fps: 5-30
   type: RGB24, usingFourCC: false, res: 160x120 - 160x120, fps: 5-30
   type: RGB24, usingFourCC: false, res: 1280x800 - 1280x800, fps: 5-7
   type: RGB24, usingFourCC: false, res: 1280x1024 - 1280x1024, fps: 5-7
   type: YUY2, usingFourCC: false, res: 640x480 - 640x480, fps: 5-30
   type: YUY2, usingFourCC: false, res: 352x288 - 352x288, fps: 5-30
   type: YUY2, usingFourCC: false, res: 320x240 - 320x240, fps: 5-30
   type: YUY2, usingFourCC: false, res: 176x144 - 176x144, fps: 5-30
   type: YUY2, usingFourCC: false, res: 160x120 - 160x120, fps: 5-30
   type: YUY2, usingFourCC: false, res: 1280x800 - 1280x800, fps: 5-7
   type: YUY2, usingFourCC: false, res: 1280x1024 - 1280x1024, fps: 5-7

I don't know if it's set to YUY2 or RGB24, but I had it at 640x480 30fps. I never use my webcam though and was just testing with it.

use the 32 bit version and let me know if it works..

this is a known issue with almost all 64bit applications.. i have tried lots of those whether being coded with c c++ or Dotnet all the 32bit versions detect the webcam but the 64 version can't (vlc included).. its looking more like a driver issue.

Ramthen

hilalpro said:
use the 32 bit version and let me know if it works..

this is a known issue with almost all 64bit applications.. i have tried quite the number of them some writing with c c++ or Dotnet all the 32bit versions detect the webcam but the 64 version can't (vlc included).. its looking more like a driver issue.
Same thing happened. The camera works fine with OBS as does Software Capture, it's just when the recording starts there's a green flash which I found odd. I'm not overly concerned about it as everything is working fine. I was just making an observation for Jim.

arutamtv

Still having the frame crashes after 30-40minutes of streaming.
Stability other than that seems really stable, and the quality is nice and crisp.

Would really love, not having to restart the stream every 30'ish minutes to avoid the obs crashing on me :(