Resource icon

Setup multicamera in June 2020

If you, like me, are interested in starting from scratch to create a multicamera stream then read on. Specifically, you may find this useful if you are hoping to stream a live event from a sound booth location with multiple cameras. I'm using OBS Studio( and SLOBS, but for the purposes of this guide the differences are not signficant). I'm also using a Mac, and found significant variables compared to Windows some of which have changed with updated OS. My goal was to create a livestream with multiple camera views to include the mainstage, alternative stage angle, 2 or 3 onstage cameras and livesound from a USB mixer. *please correct me for any info below and I'll edit post!

I have the following gear I tested for use:
Macbook Air 2013 Catalina
Canon EOS 5D Mk II and III
GoPro Hero 7 Black, Hero 5 Session and Hero 2
Old ipads
Android and iPhones, various.
Presonus StudioLive 24 with firewire out.

DSLR:
Connecting a DSLR is easiest with a clean HDMI signal to a capture device. Most recommend the Elgato CamLink, which is for a single camera, or alternatives which also are per camera. Price gauging during COVID bumped prices to $3-400. This is not currently a best option for more than one DSLR, for obvious reasons. Paying this much per camera is one.
Canon specifically has a new Beta software for specific supported models which allows the camera to be added as a video capture source to OBS easily. Because my cameras are not supported (and I tried), I did not get to test the ability to run more than one instance but it would seem it isn't possible easily since the software makes the one camera appear as the "EOS webcam". I cannot tell how it might handle a second. https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/eos-webcam-utility/
Other alternatives for the DSLR include ffmpeg with other software such as CameraSuite and CamTwist. Command prompt changes are necessary every time you stream. This was not acceptable to me, and even some of the updated Youtubers have instead suggested CamLink capture USB sticks instead. Some others have shown how to edit ports in the .ini file to run more than one camera with MonaServer. None of the above are desirable to me. The reason is that layering multiple software applications pointing to each other is bound to fail with updates or lack of updates, as they already have for CamTwist, CameraSuite.
Another workaround was to use Syphon Game Capture settings. Apple apparently closed the loophole being used by Syphon once Mojave was released. Syphon Inject also no longer works.
HERE IS MY CURRENT TRICK: I connect my DSLR using the EOS utility for my model. In it, there is a "LIVEView" button which opens another window. You can select what grids and autofocus lines appear or don't appear to give you a feed without any graphics. I then add the camera to OBS as a Window. You must check the boxes to show all windows, then select the [EOS Utility 3] EOS 5d MK III in my case. You can crop the window to just the video by holding he "Option" key.

GoPro
I cannot believe in 2020 that GoPro decided to entirely base their environment around connection to a phone. The apps GoPro has released over the years are absolutely terrible. They are missing a massive opportunity by ignoring the A/V bonanza that is COVID. GoPro really should be as easy as them delivering software to make the GoPro functional in myriad applications. People would snap them up like hotcakes. Oh well. For now, you can either go the HDMI route above, with a direct connection to a capture device, or spend the bucks on GoPro2OBS.com if you host OBS on Windows. Others have again used multiple apps and FFmpeg with command prompt edits, the Monaserver route or used the native GoPro Wifi environment but then your OBS hosting machine will need to have an ethernet connection as you will not be able to use your WiFi network. Latency problems persist, of course. I have not found an adequate solution frankly.

However: before we get to the phones, we must talk about the Blackmagic ATEM mini/pro. This recent addition to our options has some benefits and yet still leaves a lot to be desired. The good: 4 HDMI ports are capture devices. So, for the gouging that is going on for a Elgato CamLink (>$300) you could in theory have 4 HDMI devices instead. The great thing is that for the money, you also get a hardware switcher and many other production and broadcast features. Even more if you go Pro. But suffice to say it appears that the ATEM is also now backordered, thankfully still at list price. This is the route I'll go unless I come across the part that bothers me: I don't need all the other features. Why Elgato/BM and others have not risen to the occasion here and provided 4 or 6 port capture device I have no idea. If they can meet this pricepoint in a production switcher...a cheaper multicam capture device surely is possible. Multicam devices othewise run about $1000 from what I can find. I'm also concerned that the ATEM will remove my ability to use an external sound source such as our PreSonus mixer, according to some that I've read. Appreciate others knowledge here!

Phones:
Iphone: OBS cam.
Android: IP Webcam
I tried a ton on my android, but only OBS Cam on my iphone because it just worked. EpocCam, ManyCams, Droidcam and all the other apps add layers and costs that are simply unnecessary. At first, I was enthused by any app that simply let me click to add more cams though. Then I realized a few things: IP WebCam works well as a Media Source. Unclick the "local file" and enter "http:/yourIP:port/video" when connected to the same Wifi as OBS. I can get 2 Androids to stream well over Wifi and may try a third some day but honestly, with the ATEM mini running up to 4 devices over HDMI this seems to me the best and simplest solution for any multicam setup with OBS in June of 2020. I do think the explosion of streaming will lead to new options that are much simpler, cheaper and integrated better over the coming months.

Final:
DSLR/GoPro: ATEM mini
Iphone: OBS Cam/NDI
Android: IP WebCam
Author
erleichda
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings