How to eliminate static/ground issues when using mixers

How to eliminate static/ground issues when using mixers

So, your using a mixer, and you notice a loud and irritating buzzing, humming, or otherwise not-supposed-to-be-there-sound.

Well, what you may be running into is a grounding issue.

There are two ways to solve this, and using both is the best way.

The first way is to use a ground loop isolator. Now the connection from your PC to your mixer will probably be a 3.5mm(1/8") to TRS stereo cable.

What you will want to use is a 3.5mm ground loop isolator. Simply plug the 3.5mm end of the TRS cable into it, and the other end of the isolator into your headphone port on your PC.

Now, I have used this one in the past and can highly recommend the PAC SNI-1. It removes noise, and gives you a noticeable 1.3db gain.

Ok, method number two.

Use a ground lifter. Now usually a ground issue is caused by a faulty ground setup in your houses wiring. a ground cable is a cable that goes into the ground(Hence the name) which makes sure that when there is a spike in voltage or say a lighting storm, instead of the extra power going to your computer, etc, it gets routed into the soil.

Now, one way remedy the issue of a bad ground, is to use a ground lifter. this device simply leaves our the ground completely, which will eliminate any bad grounding issues.

The device I use and recommend is the AXIS 2 to 3 prong adapter. Simply plug it in between your computer/mixer and the wall socket/power strip.

I use this device for both my streaming and gaming PC, and mixer, to rule out any device issues.

(Warning: Having ungrounded devices when a power surge hits can cause those devices to break and/or overload. Its very rare, but please keep this in mind)

Ok, now that you are using either of these methods(Or both, which I recommend) you should not have anymore electrical interference in your audio.

Happy streaming!
Reactions: norihiro
Author
Videophile
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from Videophile