Zoom record

francus

Hello friends,

My obs studio installed and seems to work with archlinux. I would like to record my zoom meetings, but it only records video, audio is muted (both my microphone and other people voice is not recorded).

May you suggest an obs plugin that may improve this situation?

Many thanks

Franz

francus

After checking better, also the video does not record well, because it records only one repeated frame all the time, so nothing moves

AaronD

How is it set up? Where you have OBS grabbing A/V from? Where is it actually?

I don't think you need a plugin, or additional tools. Just know the tools that you already have. OBS by itself should be enough to do what you describe.

AaronD

Screen capture (Pipewire)
...it records only one repeated frame all the time, so nothing moves
That's better than *I* got from the Pipewire source! Mine is always black. Anyway, try the other Screen capture, if you have one.

Audio output capture (Pulseaudio)
Audio input capture (Pulseaudio)
There are lots more settings than just that. What are those sources set to? Where does Zoom get its audio and send it to? Etc.

francus

That's better than *I* got from the Pipewire source! Mine is always black. Anyway, try the other Screen capture, if you have one.

Your post encouraged me to try other settings and "Window capture (pipewire)" allows to select Zoom and it works for video capture.

There are lots more settings than just that. What are those sources set to? Where does Zoom get its audio and send it to? Etc.

Audio is not recorded yet. Audio input should have two sources: one from the other people on Zoom and another from my external usb mic. I could not test the other people, but my mic seems detected because the OBS volume bar keeps moving in response to microphone. But my voice is not recorded.

Zoom sends its audio to an external usb audio set. I tried to use that for OBS "Desktop Audio", but nothing changes

Is OBS audio output important for recording to a file? Should I set it in some special way?

AaronD

Your post encouraged me to try other settings and "Window capture (pipewire)" allows to select Zoom and it works for video capture.
I couldn't get that to work either. Still black. Good to hear it works for you.

...the OBS volume bar keeps moving in response to microphone. But my voice is not recorded.
If you've got a meter, then OBS is getting *something*. It's *probably* okay up to that point, but you'd need to hear it somehow to be sure.

Have you been here?:
1674416945837.png

The Audio Monitoring section is a hokey way (IMO) to select 2 different destinations: Output and Monitor. Output goes to the Tracks selection here, and then those tracks are selected on the Output page in the main Settings. (For the Advanced Output Mode, anyway. I think the Simple mode is limited to Track 1 only, while you still have the selection above.) Monitor goes directly to the Monitoring Device on the Audio page.
1674417173455.png

1674417202525.png

1674417245311.png

If OBS is feeding live speakers from the Monitoring Device selection, then you need to be aware of acoustic feedback. That's the same runaway squeal that you get in a live PA when you turn a mic up too much. Any time that you have a live mic and a live speaker in the same space, with the mic feeding the speaker, that can happen.

The way to avoid it is to keep the volume setting low enough (in that loop) that it doesn't (the mic can still be louder to something else), or off completely (the Output and Monitor settings above), or arrange the acoustics so that you lose enough through the air to effectively turn the volume down from speaker to mic. Those acoustics include not just padding the walls, but also placement of the mic(s) and speaker(s), directional patterns of each (The published number is for the highest frequencies only! Lower frequencies spread wider than that, which is usually where feedback happens.), furniture and people, etc.

One exception to that is when the mic and speakers are practically in the same place, like a speakerphone. In that case, they're connected well enough that a DSP algorithm ("echo cancellation") can figure out what the small remaining difference is, and subtract the (compensated) speaker signal from the mic signal. Beyond a speakerphone or other device that has the mic and speaker both in the same place, it becomes exponentially harder because the "wacky" room has more of an effect on what the algorithm has to deal with. In that case, you're back to the "live PA" mindset.

OBS does not do echo cancellation at all; that's the job of the "hockey puck mic" or whatever it is, to do that already, before it even gets to the computer. Which means that in order to work, you also have to use *that device* as the live speaker, which may or may not be ideal.

In a meeting that I run, I have a "hockey puck" as the main mic, but I don't use it for the speaker, which means that its echo cancellation can't work. I use the TV speakers instead, so that a remote person's voice comes from the same place as their face is. That means that I have to add my own version of echo suppression back in (not cancellation), to avoid them hearing a 1-second-delayed echo of themselves because the mic is picking up the TV. For that, I use OBS's Compressor filter on the mic input - actually two of them, set the same, because one by itself isn't aggressive enough - with the Sidechain set to the Meeting audio. Thus, when the meeting says something, the mic drops way down, to the point that they don't notice the echo. This also means that they can't hear the host trying to interrupt them, but so far that hasn't been a problem for us.

That doesn't feed back either, because each of the remote ends breaks the loop with echo cancellation that *does* work.

Last edited:

pdqpat

"I was able to record both the meeting voice and my own voice on mic."
What setting got the mic to record? I have zoom and OBS installed on a laptop with just internal speakers and mic. Recording a presentation works fine, but when recording discussion, my mic/audio is missing. Audio settings have mic set to default.

AaronD

What setting got the mic to record?
It's not that simple. If it was, then it'd be almost useless for the rest of us.

If you imagine that you're building an analog live sound booth or TV studio, and OBS includes several different boxes that you can hook up *per your own design*, you'll be a lot closer to reality.

It's important that the visualization be analog specifically, because analog shows you everything directly - each discrete function is its own physical box, and you literally see the connections between them - and that helps immensely with understanding. Compare that to a digital "magic black box that does everything by itself," where you barely have a clue about any of it.

OBS is not a monolithic black box. It's a collection of modules with pre-fab connections that you can enable or not. Not a complete anything-to-anywhere patchbay like analog gives you, but you do have a fair amount of flexibility.

Do you have a diagram of what you want to do, as a box per basic function with connections between them in the direction of signal flow? Compare that to the settings that I screenshotted above. Don't just copy what I have, but understand them in reference to your diagram, and set them to do what YOU want.