Question / Help ZOOM LIVETRAK L-8

caseyli

So I have the LiveTrack L-20R which I can only imagine has a very similar routing setup to the L-8. I’ve been trying to this working with OBS for the past couple of days and here’s what I’ve found so far.

My tests were all on a Mac OS X Catalina.

So in audio interface mode (both Class Compliant and using the Zoom L-20 driver), the zoom sends the individual channels (In 1 - In 20) and two more channels for the master mix (Master L and Master R).

Obviously with DAWs like Adobe Audition, you can select whatever channels you want to use. However, with OBS, we’re dealing with a 2-channel stereo input.

On some Mac programs like QuickTime or the System Preferences, when I select the Zoom L-20R as my input, it picks 2 channels. Luckily for QuickTime and System Preferences - it happens to pick “Master L” and “Master R”. So for those programs you get the Master mix perfectly.

However, with OBS for Mac, the 2 channels in picks are “In 1” and “In 2” (the first two mono inputs pre-fader, pre-mixer, pre-effects, pre-EQ). Basically dry input 1 and dry input 2.

So I’ve had no luck directly over USB getting the Master Mix into OBS.

Solution 1:

The solution that I’m sure most people go with and that I’m probably going to go with is not use the L-20R’s Audio Interface mode. Rather, use another audio interface in between the computer and the L-20R and just use the L-20R as a live mixer with XLR main outs:

[Zoom L-20R] —— main XLR outs --> [2-channel Audio Interface like Zoom U24] — USB —> [Computer with OBS]

So basically I’m using XLR-to-TRS audio cables from the Zoom L-20R main outs into the first two channels of another interface to do my routing.

This is a real shame considering that the Zoom L-20R is definitely an audio interface that sends the master mix. It just doesn’t happen to be over the two channels that OBS selects.

Solution 2:

I happen to own the Zoom U24 so that’s why I went that route. Another solution would be to use something like Rogue Amoeba’s Loop program. You can basically do the routing in Software.

Unfortunately Loop is still $99 USD. It’s a great program and should work - but I just happen to have another audio interface already so it was the cheapest option for me.

There have been a lot of posts about mulit-channel selection in OBS, but doesn’t seem like it’s happening anytime soon. At minimum, on Mac, it would be nice if it selected the same Stereo channels that the rest of the Mac Apps do.

Hope that gives you some insight.

aemme

I have tried to set Mixer Zoom L-8 as audio capture device in OBS but no audio is incoming in OBS... anybody experience with this issue?

sunni

TODAY, 30 MAY 2020, I just recieved my ZOOM L-8, i can use it with OBS, i installed the L-8 Driver Link: https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/pro...e-sound-recording/zoom-livetrak-l-8#downloads
Then i also installed OBS Plugin "ASIO" https://github.com/Andersama/obs-asio Then connecting the USB cable from L-8 to my Laptop.
And then in the L-8 , is set to "MIXER" -> "AUDIO I/F" --> on the screen L-8 i choose the "PC" . then i run the OBS, click add sources then i choose "ASIO" and boom i can now find the ZOOM L-8 in the list.

sunni

I have tried to set Mixer Zoom L-8 as audio capture device in OBS but no audio is incoming in OBS... anybody experience with this issue?
TODAY, 30 MAY 2020, I just recieved my ZOOM L-8, i can use it with OBS, i installed the L-8 Driver Link: https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/pro...e-sound-recording/zoom-livetrak-l-8#downloads
Then i also installed OBS Plugin "ASIO" https://github.com/Andersama/obs-asio Then connecting the USB cable from L-8 to my Laptop.
And then in the L-8 , is set to "MIXER" -> "AUDIO I/F" --> on the screen L-8 i choose the "PC" . then i run the OBS, click add sources then i choose "ASIO" and boom i can now find the ZOOM L-8 in the list.

Tom Levine

Hi all. I'm so glad I found this thread! Hoping you can help me. I just set up my home studio, and I'm using the LiveTrack L-8 that's plugged into my Windows 10 laptop as an audio device. a few questions:

1: Is OBS input the 2 master tracks on the L-8?
2: Does it include the effects from the L-8?
3: I installed ASIO plug in, and checked the folder and I can see it as a plug in in the plugin folder (win-asio), but it does not appear as a source in OBS. I can't figure out why. I have the latest OBS download, and the latest ASIO plug in download.
4: If the L-8 is sending out the master tracks with filters, do we need the ASIO plug in for a basic setup?

Thanks so much!!
Sincerely, Tom

Kavoossi

with the L-8, the USB interface routing is as follows: Channel 1 & 2 are Main Mix L & R, then Input 1 is USB 3, Input 2 is USB 4, etc.. it notes this in the manual and I have also tried it myself succesfully.

Timothy Blinks

I've owned all L-8 since spring 2020. It wasn't easy to get my Mac laptop and OBS to recognize and use the L-8, but it was working... at least until the OS upgrade to Big Sur.

djavenue

So I have the LiveTrack L-20R which I can only imagine has a very similar routing setup to the L-8. I’ve been trying to this working with OBS for the past couple of days and here’s what I’ve found so far.

My tests were all on a Mac OS X Catalina.

So in audio interface mode (both Class Compliant and using the Zoom L-20 driver), the zoom sends the individual channels (In 1 - In 20) and two more channels for the master mix (Master L and Master R).

Obviously with DAWs like Adobe Audition, you can select whatever channels you want to use. However, with OBS, we’re dealing with a 2-channel stereo input.

On some Mac programs like QuickTime or the System Preferences, when I select the Zoom L-20R as my input, it picks 2 channels. Luckily for QuickTime and System Preferences - it happens to pick “Master L” and “Master R”. So for those programs you get the Master mix perfectly.

However, with OBS for Mac, the 2 channels in picks are “In 1” and “In 2” (the first two mono inputs pre-fader, pre-mixer, pre-effects, pre-EQ). Basically dry input 1 and dry input 2.

So I’ve had no luck directly over USB getting the Master Mix into OBS.

Solution 1:

The solution that I’m sure most people go with and that I’m probably going to go with is not use the L-20R’s Audio Interface mode. Rather, use another audio interface in between the computer and the L-20R and just use the L-20R as a live mixer with XLR main outs:

[Zoom L-20R] —— main XLR outs --> [2-channel Audio Interface like Zoom U24] — USB —> [Computer with OBS]

So basically I’m using XLR-to-TRS audio cables from the Zoom L-20R main outs into the first two channels of another interface to do my routing.

This is a real shame considering that the Zoom L-20R is definitely an audio interface that sends the master mix. It just doesn’t happen to be over the two channels that OBS selects.

Solution 2:

I happen to own the Zoom U24 so that’s why I went that route. Another solution would be to use something like Rogue Amoeba’s Loop program. You can basically do the routing in Software.

Unfortunately Loop is still $99 USD. It’s a great program and should work - but I just happen to have another audio interface already so it was the cheapest option for me.

There have been a lot of posts about mulit-channel selection in OBS, but doesn’t seem like it’s happening anytime soon. At minimum, on Mac, it would be nice if it selected the same Stereo channels that the rest of the Mac Apps do.

Hope that gives you some insight.
I had to use Loopback to get this to work..

KP_Music

Solution for using ZOOM Livetrak as a Master (L+R) interface on OBS

I was as lost in figuring out the solution to this issue as everyone here for my ZOOM Livetrek L20 - R. This thread was a step in the right direction!

Step 1: Have OBS installed (be sure to have the software closed for now)
Step 2: Download ASIO Plugin ( obs-asio-installer_3.1.0.exe ) and install
Step 3: Having your ZOOM Livetrak turned off, plug in your USB cable from "DEVICE" to your laptop/computer -> Have the "MODE" set to "Audio Interface" -> Under "CLASS COMPLIENT MODE" select "OFF" for Windows and "ON" for iOS (Be sure to have all appropriate drivers installed on your computer so your ZOOM Livetrak can be recognized as a soundcard. Turn on ZOOM Livetrak.
Step 4: Open OBS after successfully installing the ASIO Plugin and completing Step 3.
Step 5: Create a new source -> ASIO Input Capture (I named it ZOOM_MASTER)
Step 6: Once created, a window will popup as "Properties for ZOOM_MASTER" -> Under "DEVICE" select your ZOOM Livetrak -> Leave "FORMAT" as Stereo -> Under "OBS Channel 1" and "OBS Channel 2" is where you will find every individual channel, including the Master L and Master R. Select from the dropdown menu, respectfully.
Step 7: Click on "CONTROL PANEL" (see image) -> Hover and click on the "CHANNEL" tab and select the "MASTER" bouillon. -> X out from the window.
Step 8: Click the "OK" button from your "Properties for ZOOM_MASTER" window -> Restart OBS

Once you open back up OBS after following all these steps, "ZOOM_MASTER" will appear under the "Audio Mixer"

Mugophone

Hi!

I got a little stuck with this new Zoom L-20R interface. Cubase sees it as you can see in the picture, and I have not sound. In the Vst connection and device setup, the "Master" outputs appear in the input section, although there seems to be some output on the outputs, I couldn't find out where they were going. I reinstalled the zoom driver several times, but the result was the same. Has anyone been this way? Do you have any idea what the problem might be? I note the zoom brochure mentions win 8.1, I have win 8. But I don't think that's the problem. So far, my machine has always indicated if something doesn’t fit. Now he sees that everything is fine, but he doesn't sound it anyway. Thanks in advance for any help.

zoom2.jpg