Working with older GoPros via HDMI

Jimal

Let me start by saying that I'm super-impressed with OBS. While I have experience with video editing and website development, I'm new to live streaming. I was impressed at how seamlessly OBS recognized my audio encoder and the Panasonic camcorder we're using as our main camera. We have kinks to work out, but they aren't OBS-related.

I have a couple old, but low hours, GoPro Hero 2s lying around that I'd like to incorporate into our livestream. According to GoPro, as long as the software is "compatible" I should be able to just plug the HDMI in and be on my way. That has not been the case. OBS does no recognize either GoPro as a video capture device. I've fiddled with cables and capture cards, and the only issue appears to be with both Hero 2s. Is there a trick to using a Hero 2 with OBS, such as removing the SD cards, using USB instead of HDMI, or something basic that I'm missing?

Jimal

I will find that out today. We were in the middle of a 7-day power outage when I asked the question, and I was hoping there was something obvious that I overlooked.

Jimal

Success!

Plugging the first Hero2 into my TV via an HDMI cable resulted in a momentary image on the screen, but then it stopped working. That camera also has sound issues, so it could just be a bad camera. I plugged the second Hero2 into the TV, and after a short amount of time (a few seconds) the picture came up on the screen. When I went back, plugged the camera into a cable and into my encoding dongle, I was able to discover and set up the Hero2 in OBS.

Apart form the middle step of plugging the Hero2 into an HDMI port on my TV, I didn't do anything different this time I around than I did before, but this time it worked. I'll take that as a win.