Won’t record because it thinks there are other recording software activated.

Facelessmask

Just got obs and downloaded with everything set to default however I’m having problems. First I’m during it to record my quest witch is plugged into link it won’t record due to saying “NVECN Error: Too many congruent sessions. Try closing other recording software such as Nivdia shadow play or windows 10 game DVR” note this only happens with the quest plugged in

FerretBomb

Consumer-grade NVENC only supports two active encoder sessions at the same time. Normally Shadowplay and/or Windows GameDVR will "use up" one of these. The Oculus software may try to use one as well for some reason.
Try disabling both Shadowplay and GameDVR to 'free up' the first NVENC session.

I'm not certain what function of the Oculus software would be trying to use one of the sessions or for what purpose, you'd need to contact Oculus support for details about that, and how to turn it off.

Alternately, there are unsupported third-party patches for the nVidia GPU drivers that unlock consumer-grade cards to be able to use more than two NVENC sessions, but that is very much at-your-own-risk, we cannot provide any support or further information here, beyond the fact that they exist.