Bug Report Windows 10 Window Capture 60fps Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molten Ice

Hello all,

Problem: When recording CS:GO (Counter-Strike: Global Offensive) which is running in Fullscreen Windowed mode using Window Capture the FPS (frames per second) of CS:GO itself (Usually around 200+ when OBS isn't running) stays EXACTLY at 60 which makes the game extremely choppy and impossible to play on. This happens even when not recording (but preview is running).

Details:
  • This did NOT happen in Windows 8.1 on the same hardware I am running right now. I had consistently 170+ FPS even when recording. This only happened after upgrading to Windows 10.
  • Xbox Game DVR thing is turned off.
  • I don't have Vertical Sync enabled. If I did then I would get 60 FPS even when OBS is turned off.
  • If there's no window capture in the scene there's no 60FPS cap and everything runs normally. This cap is only when window capture is present for CS:GO.
  • My setup is 2 GTX 980m in SLI.
  • As a side note, similar issue happens on old OBS as well, but doesn't stay EXACTLY at 60 but around 60-100ish. This is just when preview is running I am not even recording.
I think I've given all relevant info but if you need any more info please do let me know.

Awaiting your response for this issue.

Thanks,
Molten Ice

Molten Ice

Sorry do you mean recording will only be at 60FPS? I don't mind the recording being recorded at maximum 60FPS. What happens is my GAMEPLAY gets capped at 60FPS. This makes my gameplay really jittery and laggy. This never happened before.

Essentially when running FRAPS just for the FPS count, it is around 200+ for CSGO, I start OBS with preview running and Window Capture and the FPS count for CSGO stay consistently at 60.

Hope that makes sense?

Molten Ice

From your reddit post:

Windows 10, like Windows 8 before it, forces the use of the Desktop Window Manager. (desktop compositor)
I did not have this problem in Windows 8.1 as per my original post

This means that any application running in a window will have triple buffering applied to it.

If you disable V-Sync in a game that is running in a window, the framerate will be uncapped and is no longer synchronized to the refresh rate - as expected. However you won't get any screen tearing because triple-buffering is applied via the DWM.
It says above frame rate will be uncapped and my frame rate is uncapped as expected. But when OBS runs the frame rate gets capped!

I don't think this is the problem I am facing because of the reasons above. Perhaps any other ideas?

DEDRICK

Don't use Fraps for your FPS counter, use the steam or ingame fps counter. I'm getting 200+FPS while Recording 720p60 x264 with CS:GO in Borderless. I also get the same FPS using Game Capture or Window Capture so I don't really understand how you are having this issue. The only difference between your OBS setup and mine is FRAPS, so logically you would assume it is an issue with using FRAPS, not OBS

This image is with Window Capture and while recording, Windows 10.

9Z5lqbP.jpg

Last edited:

Molten Ice

Thanks for that screenshot! This shows to me that the problem is just happening on my computer. This issue happens whether or not FRAPS is running! And I'm 99% sure it started happening when I upgraded 8.1 to 10. There must be a setting somewhere on Windows or my Nvidia software that's causing this.

As a side note I tried OBS, OBS Multiplatform and XSplit Broadcaster and all 3 of them give me this frame cap issue when preview is running. This must be an inherent issue with some setting somewhere that locks the window's frame rate during window capture. This issue was not present when game is running in Fullscreen (not windowed) mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.