Question / Help Window Capture for League of Legends

nixiecon

Window capture doesn't seem to have the League of Legends window from the drop down menu, even if I have the game on windowed or borderless. Display capture works well, but I'd rather show just the game itself, not the whole screen. Any help would be appreciated. :)

H4ndy

Forum Moderator
Just use game capture for in-game mode and window capture for the client.

Edit: I just noticed that this in the mac forums, so this is sorta not applicable.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Strange to hear -- it's possible you might need to run OBS as admin for it to list, though that really should not be the case for this game. Another problem is that the game has two different applications, the lobby and the in-game, which require capturing separately (quite annoying for users to have to configure, I wish they'd consider changing this somehow).

nixiecon

Hmm, I don't know how to run an app as admin on a Mac. :O In system preferences, the profile that I'm using does say admin, not sure if that's the same?

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I'm an idiot - wrong forum, I thought this was for windows. Starting to get confused here. Ignore prior advice.

Okay, let's start again -- Still, the in-game and the lobby are most likely two separate programs, which may have to capture separately.

However, screen capture would probably be best to use in my opinion, should have better performance.

Luchador138

sometimes this happens from time to time, where the "client" doesn't show up or game window, make sure the game window is up and not minimized, if that doesn't fix it then switch uh scene to see if that helps, for me I make scene for different games. If that doesn't work then close the window that has the drop box and then maybe restart obs, making sure that the WOW window is up and not minimized the window has to be present for obs to capture it. I have Diablo III and can capture it fine, also a helpful hint, once you do get it to capture you can go into edit then transform or where it say transform then go to stretch to screen you might not need to do it if you got a big window for it to capture like 1280x720 or whatever, but for me I'm usually at about 800x600 (in game) so that I can see the twitch chat.

I'm seriously considering making youtube videos to show people some of the ways to use this, and to show some of the problems I've encountered while using OBS, I'm noticing btw Jim that maybe wavtap or just audio capture seems to interfere with OBS, also using itunes while streaming and playing in game sounds seems to affect it too. I say this cause every time I've had a problem with OBS its cause the audio then ingame audio start to stutter or stop and then I look at OBS and its like dropping frames and that the CPU usage kinda bumps up.

Luchador138

EDIT: I noticed that you are talking about League and I got it in my stupid mind that you were talking about WOW, the tips might still work but I don't play league so prob. not, but yeah my bad.

Msf72

Has there been a fix for this since this was posted? It's been quite a while now and I'm actually looking for an answer as well... I really don't want to have to display my entire screen because I'm only playing on one monitor and want to read Twitch chat without making it 100% conspicuous.

Additionally, if an answer hasn't been found, I know that Windows users have to use a Scene Switcher plugin. Not sure if this helps or not, but I figured it's worth mentioning.

Msf72

It captures the pvp client but not the second game window that's loaded after champion select. So throughout the whole game it only shows a black screen or the champion select image on stream until the game is done. The second one isn't even optionable actually. For some reason it's not recognized by OBS at all. The only way to stream it is to use display capture and I'm pretty much refusing to do that at this point. :/

ecarlstrom

I've been having this problem as well, I've described it in some detail in this thread: https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/game-capture.24013/

It's only a quick fix for now, Msf72, but I've found that restarting SyphonInject (generally a few times) and moving the source between the client and game windows gets it back to the screen you want it on. It usually takes 60-90 seconds of fiddling, though, so it's annoying to have to stare at a black screen between each game.
@Msf72 Are you unable to use game capture for some reason? I would assume it works with League.
It "works", technically, but after completing a game, OBS gets stuck on the victory/defeat screen from the last game so that when another game opens, the display doesn't switch to what it should.

I didn't have this problem when I first started two months ago, so something between then and now seems to have caused the issue.

Msf72

Yeah that's the only issue I'm having with it right now, is that it pretty much gets stuck on the end game screen and I have to play with the Game Siphon scene again. If I bugsplat, which has been occurring regularly with OBS and League open at the same time for whatever reason, it makes it that much more of a hassle to stream because I have to reconnect and wait for that window yet again - making me late to game, putting me behind, having to spend even more time yet being even later just to get it to capture the proper window, etc. Who can maintain viewers through all of that?

BiiPiiGii

In order to capture league you have to select "Window with hidden names" AND you have to put league in windowed baorderless mode. Game capturing seems to work a lot easier though and surprisingly I don't get a lot of FPS drop.

Anantkills

Found the answer for anyone having problems trying to display just the game live. Double click the came once open in gameshow then go to the screen capture properties and click the drop down for capture type and put window... Hope helps