Bug Report Window Capture and Browsers

Gabriel F. Lujan

Trying out OBS for Mac and, honestly, it's a letdown compared to the Windows version. Specifically when it comes to the "Window Capture" function and the fact that it doesn't see browsers as an option. This is a problem because I want to stream a site that only allows access by using one time tokens and using "Browser Source" doesn't work because obviously there's no interactivity with the page at that point. I also don't want to display my desktop because I don't want to show other personal items that would appear.

Overall, I think OBS is a good tool, and for free to boot. But it's a few steps behind being a great tool. I imagine that resources, people power and time in general is scarce, but please consider this in regards to the Mac version of this project. Thanks!

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
You actually can interact with a browser source by using the Interact option (right-click source > Interact). However, there is currently an issue on macOS where OBS will crash when closing out of Interact mode that we have been unable to isolate (and a few other issues with HiDPI displays like Retina-based display). Interact is kind of experimental, so we can't currently guarantee that it'll work as well as using a regular browser

I think Jim has said somewhere else that the various capture mechanisms on macOS are overly complex, slow, or generally sub-par compared to options on Windows, and that has to do with macOS architecture and design rather than anything on the OBS side. Obviously, we'd like OBS to be as performant on macOS as on Windows, but Apple/macOS doesn't make it easy.