Question / Help Why Do Emulators Lag My Stream?

Kearstin

Assuming that you just using window capture when streaming emulators thru OBS, is there a particular reason it would buffer and lag my stream? It's not like ROMs are big files so what could cause a lag?

Using everything else does not have buffering or a lag.
Whether it's my Blackmagic Thunderbolt for consoles, using Reflector to mirror my iPhone games, or using Steam.

Something about Emulators just chugs my stream. I use OpenEmu to play Emulators.

iMac 27"
24G RAM
i5 Core
NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M graphics

Is it something in my OBS settings?
Is there another way to capture emulators?

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
As I understand it window capture performs pretty poorly on Macs. Have you tried using display or syphon capture instead? Or tried using a different emulation package like Libretro/RetroArch?

amsyar ZeRo

@Kearstin Usually,emulators tax CPU a bit as it needs to "fool" the ROM into thinking it's a retro console,not a Mac,rather than running it on the Mac.I've been there before(playing .exe files on Mac with Winebottler)

Kearstin

@Kearstin Usually,emulators tax CPU a bit as it needs to "fool" the ROM into thinking it's a retro console,not a Mac,rather than running it on the Mac.I've been there before(playing .exe files on Mac with Winebottler)
That makes sense. That's a bummer, but it makes sense!
I do have older consoles I could hook up but, as we know, all those free roms tho lol

Kearstin

As I understand it window capture performs pretty poorly on Macs. Have you tried using display or syphon capture instead? Or tried using a different emulation package like Libretro/RetroArch?
I haven't tried that nope! Is it a better option for emulators?

Kearstin

Is there maybe specific settings I should apply to accommodate?
Bitrate, output, etc?

All I'm trying to say, is the people want Excitebike LOL

Kearstin

Just wanted to share that since I started using the game capture instead of window capture, it's a flawless stream now when using emulators. Thanks everyone!

amsyar ZeRo

@Kearstin Oh,so that's the problem.Using window capture on a Mac doesn't work really great opposed to Windows due to the Mac's API.Anyways,glad to hear your problem has been fixed.

Kearstin

@Kearstin Oh,so that's the problem.Using window capture on a Mac doesn't work really great opposed to Windows due to the Mac's API.Anyways,glad to hear your problem has been fixed.
Yeah I guess that was my fault. I assumed window capture for emulator since they aren't large files. Until I learned the CPU part haha.
Game capture wins!

ICYMI: I have archived me playing 4 different emulators on my channel! Todd McFarlane's Spawn, Powerpuff Girls Mojo Jojo A-Go-Go, Sailor Moon S and R!
http://www.twitch.tv/ikearstin