Which is the best graphics card are for Internet streaming?

HAHOBSON

Which video card works the best with Linux and OBS studio for Internet streaming? I have been looking at the RTX3060. This is for a 24h 365 day requirement. Most of what I have read states the Nvidia is the best. Would love to know if there are arguments to the contrary. I am looking to stream at 720p, 30-60fps. I appreciate your comments.

R@de

What distro will you be using? If using Ubuntu either AMD or Nvidia should be easy to setup through their driver installer app and work equally well.
If you are going for a more custom setup / have specific needs, go with nvidia. Their installer script is so easy to use.

HAHOBSON

What distro will you be using? If using Ubuntu either AMD or Nvidia should be easy to setup through their driver installer app and work equally well.
If you are going for a more custom setup / have specific needs, go with nvidia. Their installer script is so easy to use.
Thank you, but my question is more about which NVIDIA card. On their beginner page, they list the 3060 or 3070 for dedicated streaming. Just wondering if 3060 is enough for 24/7 streaming.

FirephoenixX02

RTX 3060 might even be overkill depending on the stream quality and if a card can handle 1h of streaming without overheating, it can also handle 24h because the resource requirements don't increase over time.

Last edited:

GeneticWolf

Hi there. for streaming only, Geforce 3060 is overkill.
in past, I was streaming 1080p without frame drop with a Geforce 1650 at maximum Twitch.TV setting (6000kbps).
However, I then changed my setting for a Geforce 1660 for the NVEC enconding wich has a better recording status (when you're not streaming)
However (again) the geforce 3050 does contain the NVEC encoding and therore is a nice replacment for the 1660.
in order or performance, the best streaming gpu would be 1660, 2060 or 3050, 3060
I placed the 3050 with 2060 because it's mainly the same price/performance and 3050 can do NVEC

finally, if you got an issue with your power supply and don't want to invest/change it,
the 3050 has a 130 TDW vs the 2060 and 3060 wich are around 170 TDW
hope that help

edit: in past, only Geforce xx60 serie had NVEC encoding, therefore, 1050, 1650, doesn't have NVEC encoding, where now, under 3060, you got the NVEC encoding wich is a nice bonus for OBS and Video editing