Which encoder: “x264” or “Apple VT H264 Software Encoder”? Is there a difference?

SubbrSchwob

I still got the Apple VT Hardware Encoder issue. It does not stick to the bandwidth limitation, I checked "Limit bitrate" for sure. I'm on a 2017 MacBook pro now.

So far I use the h264 encoder, which the MacBook hardly can take at 720p. Luckily I don't have to use it for FullHD since my Atem Mini Pro switcher will do FullHD standalone (and only FullHD, it cannot do 720p). However I'm in the unfortunate situation that I have one client with 1.7mbps upstream max an so I need to tweak encoding settings.

bearcatjamboree

I would be curious to find an actual definition of VBR versus CBR.

I haven't found anything that definitively shows that Apple VT264 encoding is VBR. I tried a sample of about 1 minute with Apple vs X264 and the plots don't give much information on Bitrate Viewer because it only shows 3 samples of the entire file. A full plot of both output (using plotframes) shows distinct differences in the overall frame types and rates, but nothing that I would call variable or constant for either format.

Mostly, Apple shows slightly higher iframe rates but lower bframe and pframe rates. However, the higher iframes are more consistent with my max bitrate settings than what x264 shows. I don't know... I still see no reason to not use Apple VT264 encoding if it runs smoother for you...

Attachments

• bearcatjamboree - Minecraft Live Stream - 2022-03-02 08-24-43_VT264.png
    bearcatjamboree - Minecraft Live Stream - 2022-03-02 08-24-43_VT264.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 62
  • bearcatjamboree - Minecraft Live Stream - 2022-03-02 08-26-05_x264.png
    bearcatjamboree - Minecraft Live Stream - 2022-03-02 08-26-05_x264.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 62

bearcatjamboree

I would be curious to find an actual definition of VBR versus CBR.

I haven't found anything that definitively shows that Apple VT264 encoding is VBR. I tried a sample of about 1 minute with Apple vs X264 and the plots don't give much information on Bitrate Viewer because it only shows 3 samples of the entire file. A full plot of both output (using plotframes) shows distinct differences in the overall frame types and rates, but nothing that I would call variable or constant for either format.

Mostly, Apple shows slightly higher iframe rates but lower bframe and pframe rates. However, the higher iframes are more consistent with my max bitrate settings than what x264 shows. I don't know... I still see no reason to not use Apple VT264 encoding if it runs smoother for you...

Actually, the bframe and pframe rates are about the same. The scale is being affected by the higher iframes.