Question / Help Where to set rescaling options?

If I stream my games, I use Game Capture on the syphon injected games and crop their output to 1920 x 1080 in the Game Capture properties in the OBS scene. 16:9 is what Twitch wants, and so I give it to them.

But I do not want to have my viewers need a massive download speed, so I never actually stream in 1080p (1920 x 1080), instead I rescale to 720p (1280 x 720).

In the Video settings of OBS I set my Base Resolution to 1920 x 1080 and the Scaled Resolution to 1280 x 720 with a Downscale Filter set to Lanczos.

In the Output settings you find another Rescale Output settings which I currently set to 1280 x 720 too, but what does this actually do if I already scale my resolution down to 720p in the Video Settings?

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
Setting your resolution to 1080p vs. 720p doesn't really affect how much download speed your viewers need to watch your stream -- that is controlled by bit rate.

You don't need to rescale in your output settings. That is mainly in case you want to recording and stream at different resolutions.

Bitrate calculators tell me I would need a bitrate of over 6000 Kbps if I was to stream in 1080p whereas using 720p I can get away with less than 3000 Kbps. My viewers complain about chunky video when I set my bitrate anything over 2000 Kbps so I figured that 720p in 30 FPS would be the best I can do when no one seems to be able to watch my stream otherwise. Where am I wrong, please teach me, as I would love to offer the best stream possible without lots of viewers having lag issues.

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
You can set your resolution to anything you want, and your bit rate to anything you want, and it will work. You don't need a particular bit rate for a particular resolution for it to be able to stream. Whether it looks good or not is a different question, but you are "allowed" to stream 1080p at a lower bit rate than that.