Question / Help Whats the best "capture card" for my needs.

Treble557

So, back when I was WAY younger I had these capture cards that were like cable tv capture cards, with cable jacks in the back. So you'd open a window on your comp and just watch tv on it. It was really fuckin cool. I would play my PS2 and shit on it, and it just felt great.

Eventually tho real video cards became needed and they took up the spot that kinda thing would sit in, so I stopped having em.

Now a days tho it seems capture cards are back in full force, but this time primarily for streamers as opposed to watching TV. Which is cool and all, so long as I can find one to suit my new needs, which are the following...

1) A capture card that can play without any delays from the controller to the screen. Just like im playing on a tv, but I can play on my comp in a window or full screened like I was before.

2) A capture card that will allow me to use a 4k monitor with the upcoming titles of FF15/KH3/FF7 remake.

3) A capture card that will allow me to stream that 4k res picture to my twitch.

That's what I need. and I was looking at this... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER for my setup, but I don't know if it's what I actually need or not.

Anyone know enough to help me out?

well this is just a "drive-by" so to speak but judging by the "My ABC capture card doesn't work right in OBS-MP", "My XYZ capture card doesn't work right in OBS-MP" etc. threads that have been ongoing for a while here -- I'm not sure I'd be looking to buy one right now.

You may or may not be able to stream a 4K video to Twitch. If they even take video in that kind of resolution you may not be able to use x264/H.264.

Last edited:

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
If you want to capture your PC, you dont need a capture card.
If you want to capture a console, you dont need 4K (current consoles can barely run games at 1080p).
If you want no delay, use a splitter and keep playing on your tv.
Apart of Blackmagic, I think there are no capture cards that can do 4K and cost less than a thousand dollars or so.
4K resolution will need so much bitrate, apart of the mentioned "does twitch even allow it?" question, you will need to be partnered for anyone to be able to watch it.

sam686

So, back when I was WAY younger I had these capture cards that were like cable tv capture cards, with cable jacks in the back. So you'd open a window on your comp and just watch tv on it.
My first capture card was Conexant 878a, and yes it was cool to watch TV or play console game, and record on my PC. I later got ViXS PureTV-U 48B0 just to use digital HDTV tuner, and sometimes for a game console at 480i capture.

I use AverMedia C027 which can capture (composite or s-video) and (hdmi or component), can do 720p, 1080i and lower, but no 1080p. It has very little delay (less then 0.02 seconds) on the preview window.

I don't have Elgato, but I heard it has capture delays in OBS, needing to delay all other sources to sync up, and its not possible to delay game capture and window capture on the old OBS, not sure about OBS-multiplatform.

Hopewithinchaos

Forum Moderator
Jack0r pretty much hit the nail on the head.

If you're playing a console, 4K isn't needed at all. consoles at max only go to 1080P, so even if you're playing on a 4K TV / Monitor, the game is still at whatever resolution the console outputs at.

If you're playing PC, Streaming 4K is not feasible at all. Twitch allows a maximum of 3500 bitrate (But ideally you should shoot for 2000 to 2500 if you're not partnered.) And with that bitrate, anything higher than 720P just wouldn't look good, and the amount of processing power required to STREAM 4K is another thing entirely. I don't even know if twitch supports 4k, but likely not.

If you want a lagless image to your PC, you're going to want an internal capture card. I personally use the Avermedia Live Gamer HD (c985) And It works for what I need it to. I hear good things about the HD 60 Pro you linked as well and it allows 1080P60 capture I believe, while the c985 does 720P60 or 1080p30. USB devices have around a second delay, sometimes bigger if its a 2.0 device, while internal cards are nearly instant. It won't be exact, so your best off just using a splitter with it, and playing on your tv at the same time.