what Linux people need

adving

Linux is free software.

There are lots of old computers and low end computers using Linux.

We need a version to install in old single core celeron and pentium processors, with onboard gpu, not nvidia, not amd gpu.

This will be useful for standard definition broadcast, not high definition.

Even 426 x 240 resolution + mono audio (total bandwidth = 128kbps in H264) can be useful

Good for small towns and low budget people outside europe and north america.

Maybe these low end computers cannot encode to H264 due to low resources, so encoding to MPEG2 will be a good second option. The two options so people can select best one.

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
You can already use whatever encoders FFmpeg supports, but video encoding itself is a very CPU-intensive process. You can't just make it take up less CPU somehow. A single-core Celeron simply will not perform well. Furthermore, with that old of a computer, you probably won't be able to use the necessary features of OpenGL that OBS needs in order to render frames in the first place. It's just not going to happen. There are just some things that you absolutely cannot have an old computer for, and live encoding video is one of them.

adving

Maybe a dual core?

I have a machine with this configuration:

Pentium Dual Core E5400 (2 x 2.7GHZ) Wolfdale MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, Intel64

2GB RAM

Mobo: Asus P5KPL-AM chipset G31 ICH7

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (Intel® GMA 3100)

Supports Pixel Shader 2.0 and doesn't support Vertex Shader

OpenGL 1.4 support

I just need a low resolution 426 x 240 live stream with mono audio (128Kbps for video and 32Kbps for audio, total 160Kbps in H264)

I am using Ubuntu Studio 15.04, OBS installation runs ok, but...

I am with same error reported before:
Failed to initialize video: Unspecified error
Maybe I can buy a cheap nvidia GT210 or GT240 with openGL 3.2, would it help?

Last edited:

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
Those GPUs have historically struggled to keep up with the rendering demands of OBS, but any GPU that supports OpenGL 3.2 is better than what you have.

adving

Thanks for the comments

Just a final question: at this moment I do not have the nvidia gpu, so I am geting the error: "failed to initialize video", will you remove this bug to make the software works with the onboard gpu? I do not worry about the performance, I just would like to try the OBS with the machine I have, before buy other hardware.

Harold

If your GPU doesn't support OpenGL 3.2 then the "failed to initialize video" error is NOT A BUG.

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
It's not a bug. It's a statement that your GPU is completely and utterly technologically incapable of doing what OBS needs it to do. It's not something that can be dialed back. It is a baseline of functionality that your computer does not meet.