What hardware do I need for streaming to server in H.265 / HEVC

GiorgioB

Hello, I am dedicated to streaming events, currently I work in h.264 with a satellite team to lower costs, I would like to work in h.265 / HEVC to hire less bandwidth to know what hardware I need to be able to encode in that format. with an El Gato Hd60s USB capturer, but I want to know what CPU I need to achieve it, I work with a single scene and basically I take what the capturer gives me without modifying it or inserting anything, I only record for security reasons, I would appreciate the help and if the same setup is for windows

Lawrence_SoCal

so you are sure receiving end can handle H.265 / HEVC?
are you planning to use CPU only, or will you plan to use a GPU encoding offload?
NVENC should work (what what I've read, don't know the reality), recommend GTX 1650 Super (Turing) or higher/newer
AMD's H.264 support has been poor (and that is generous) but is that different for HEVC/H.265??? sorry, I don't know
AMD Video Coding Engine - Wikipedia or the newer Video Core Next - Wikipedia

and beware licensing implications if video doesn't get re-encoded https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/obs-studio-h-265-hevc.125022/post-492959
If you do some research, you'll find plenty of comments of the extra CPU required to handle editing H.265 videos...so you should consider the entire workflow so you can compare bandwidth costs vs other implications