What does the "use authentication" option in the stream settings actually do?

randmc

Hello, I am new to this forum and I hope I found the right place to post in. I was wondering what the "Use authentication" option in the Settings -> Stream dialog does.
More precisely: What HTTP request method is used to send the data (e.g. POST?) and how is the data for the two fields (username and password) formatted?

The background of this question is that we use a quite unhandy workaround on our nginx/rtmp streaming server mainly to support OBS in a somewhat secure way, because we can't manage to make use of this authentication feature. We were not able to get these values "into the lua script", at least there is no POST Value for either the username nor the password.
We plan to change the authentication to either use http_basic_auth or the SSO solution of our underlying network, and personally I would be very sad if I had to "leave OBS behind" (and use bare ffmpeg) because we miss the right way to integrate it.

I hope you can help me. This may very well be an issue with our webserver configuration (not "forwarding" the paramenters correctly), and your insight into this feature would help alot and save time while debugging :) That being said, thank you for any effort and have a good day.