Question / Help Weird glitchy preview screen

cpdj

Hello guys...
Total newbie here, so I apologize in advance. But I'm using OBS on a late '11 Macbook Pro 13" and streaming t oFacebook Live, doing live dj streams. I will post my log file if I can figure out how lol. But I'm having this issue, with the preview screen in FB looking like the included pic. It seems to fix itself if I leave it sit long enough like that, as by the time I finish typing my message it has so far corrected itself but this is only 3 times so far. Still I wold like to know what is causing this so I can be good right off, and also in case it is just luck lol. here's the pic
Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 8.36.24 PM.png
Sorry it is small, it was either this or MASSIVE. Ok I uploaded the log file (I think!) and it gave me this link https://obsproject.com/logs/JlK1znbiZQcAzOZW
Thanks!! Also PS - as of now it does NOT seem to be fixing itself this time. It worked before and I was going to go back on but now it doesn't want to work.

Narcogen

Do you have two webcams? You appear to have two webcam sources in your scene:

17:59:13.697: - scene 'Scene':
17:59:13.697: - source: 'webcam' (av_capture_input)
17:59:13.697: - source: 'usb audio codec' (coreaudio_input_capture)
17:59:13.697: - source: 'webcam' (av_capture_input)

It looks like you're trying to add the same device to a scene more than once with different settings:

18:31:31.172: webcam: Selected preset AVCaptureSessionPreset1280x720
18:31:34.652: webcam: Selected preset AVCaptureSessionPreset640x480
18:31:56.331: webcam: Selected preset AVCaptureSessionPreset1280x720

cpdj

Sorry I took so long to reply. Well, I don't think so, I'm using my macbook only, there is no external/peripheral webcam. As far as I know, it only has one camera, right? To be clear, I am doing live DJ mixes. I'm using one laptop for the DJ software/controller, and another laptop to broadcast, and using its webcam. Trying to do both on the same laptop seemed like a bad idea lol, and I happen to have two of them. So, I'm not sure, but if I look at the box in OBS where it says scenes, I have created two webcam scenes, just accidentally, but I didn't think they could be both active at once? If so let me know and I will delete one.

I was monkeying around changing settings a lot, thinking maybe incorrect settings, e.g. resolution or bitrate was causing the issue. So that last part there where it says "webcam" 3 times with the resolution changing, is that just me changing settings and restarting? I don't understand the log file, to read it. I don't know what I'm really reading. I also don't really understand what "downscale" resolution is although I assume it means that it is scaled down to that size when going out to FB, but I would think it would just make it the correct resolution from the start, so I'm not sure. There's just a lot of things that I am guessing about bc I don't have prior experience with streaming video, or any kind of video anything, so I lack the basic understanding of what all the different settings in OBS mean. Using a more technical program like OBS, which has a lot of settings and requires some technical knowhow/vocab, well, I'm pretty lost and don't know what 90% of it even means lol. I'm talking mainly about the settings. Also I'm a bit hazy on what the whole scene thing even is, aside from I guess it's meant for people with different shots or multiple cameras, or like different parts, like a show would have, each with different settings, right? But for my purposes I just need one scene. Anyway, tell me if you think having two scenes listed for webcam could be the issue, or if I'm somehow running them both simultaneously? Thanks for the help, and sorry I'm so clueless. Maybe I will see if there are some OBS setup or basic intro tutorials that will explain some of this stuff to me so I can be more helpful

cpdj

Ok wait I screwed up there, so I have a correction, and then a clarification. First of all, where I have 2 webcam entries, it is in the SOURCE box, not the scenes box. But I tried deleting the 2nd "webcam" source to no avail. Also, it's only the preview srcreen in FB LIVE that is messed up, the webcam feed in OBS is perfect, and if I just let FB access my webcam, it looks perfect there too. something is going wrong with how OBS is trasmitting it to FB, or how FB is receiving it. Sorry, hope that might be helpful lol.

cpdj

OK so update: I tried setting the the downscale setting to the next lower res setting, and it fixed it, or appeared to anyway, maybe it was a fluke? But I ended the broadcast and restarted it with a new stream key and still worked. So I will have to see if the problem returns or not. Only issue now is I noticed the video is not synced. In my FB feed, in preview it's as much as 13 secs behind; when live and also watching the video afterward, it is about 1 sec or a half a sec behind the sound, is this just an unavoidable thing or is it fixable? I guess it's not huge but since I do a lot of like hip hop tricks with my mixing, it's annoying that what you see my hands doing doesn't match the sound. Makes it much more obvious that it is off lol. Anyway, thanks!!!

Narcogen

It is difficult to get sync between two independent sources that share no clock signal. If the video is 13 seconds behind consistently, add delay to the audio to keep them in sync. Those settings are in Edit > Advanced Audio Settings