webcam question

Ansakur242

Hello. I just got a webcam today to use for streaming and the two games i played one it seems like my fps was suffering some and in the other one i laged badly and the game crashed on me twitce? could that be the webcam or is there something im missing

Lawrence_SoCal

I'm not a gamer, and lots of people are posting due to new OBS release... so just in case this helps before someone more knowledgeable replies
- look up how to post an OBS stream log, other will want/ask for that to check
- a USB webcam does use CPU for decompressing /decoding video signal, so if you were running out of resources, that could impact things. most webcam drivers are junk... which doesn't help, and not good alternatives. What you will often see in this forum is a recommendation to NOT use extra features on the webcam driver and related software, if you can control same thing within OBS.. but ymmv.. depends on model webcam,, driver version and related s/w (if any) and the settings you are using/set/attempted

I recommend using Windows' Task Manager/Resource Monitor to check you system resource utilization/performance metrics without the webcam. If things are near maxed out, then adding webcam isn't going to help... but like so much in life... it depends... hence need for logs to get lots of those details needed to troubleshoot