Wayland / Ubuntu / Core dumped

Aza_inspirator

Hey All

Hope you are well, just wanted to try to get OBS Studio working on my raspberry pi 4 with Ubuntu Desktop and I think i am pretty close, however I keep getting the errors.
Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway.
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not find the Qt platform plugin "wayland" in ""
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, xcb.

Aborted (core dumped)

I believe its about wayland and I have tried to install wayland, but it just doesnt seem to want to work.
Any advice or suggestions would be great.
Thank you

AaronD

just wanted to try to get OBS Studio working on my raspberry pi 4...
I tried that a couple of years ago, and it worked. Don't remember what version it was, but I did have to download the source and build it on the Pi. Once that was done, it did "just work". Rendering was smooth with a live source - even the latency was pretty good - UI was easily responsive...until I tried to record. Then it fell flat on its face.

Turns out the Pi can't ENcode video. It has hardware DEcoding, that is used for watching finished videos, but no support for hardware ENcoding. And the CPU isn't near enough to do *that*.

So if you're driving a live display from a full-screen projector in OBS, you're probably fine. But if you're streaming or recording - anything that requires video ENcoding - forget it.

The new Pi 5 that few people have yet, *maybe*. But I'd still call it a *big* maybe.

Tuna

OP needs the qt5-wayland (or qt6-wayland) package.

The pi has an hardware encoder, it just isn't implemented in OBS.

AaronD

The pi has an hardware encoder, it just isn't implemented in OBS.
I think that's technically true, but it's not even implemented in the official Raspberry Pi OS for licensing reasons. It's just a never-used part of an off-the-shelf chip that the Raspberry Pi Foundation doesn't pay the license fee to enable.

So effectively, practically, it doesn't have one.

Tuna

Iirc some codecs needed you to buy a license. H.264 afaik os none of them. People seem to successfully use GStreamer's v4l2h264enc.

jebba

Hardware decoding of additional codecs on the Raspberry Pi 3 and earlier models can be enabled by purchasing a license that is locked to the CPU serial number of your Raspberry Pi.

On the Raspberry Pi 4, the hardware codecs for MPEG2 or VC1 are permanently disabled and cannot be enabled even with a licence key; on the Raspberry Pi 4, thanks to its increased processing power compared to earlier models, MPEG2 and VC1 can be decoded in software via applications such as VLC. Therefore, a hardware codec licence key is not needed if you’re using a Raspberry Pi 4.

Above doesn't mention H.264 encoding, but it is mentioned here:

By default it uses the Raspberry Pi’s hardware H.264 encoder.

I'm not sure about it's status in OBS, but according to Pi's own docs, it exists.