Question / Help Want to record only Audio

RobK

Hello OBS.

I want to record only audio with OBS Studio. Got all settings working for a MP4 file with seperated audiotracks. But what I really want to have is a MP3 file container where the left channel contains one source and the right channel another source.

Background is, I want to use OBS only as voice recorder, I am not interested in video capture and streaming stuff. Sure I can extract the audiodata out of an mp4 file. But this workaround makes the postprocessing unessential more complex. Also, why to stress up the CPU with transcoding black video, if not needed.

So, what I have tried is under: Setting\Output\Recording -> I switched to advanced. Select custom output under "Type". Here I have "Custom Output" (FFmpeg). As container I selected MP3 and deactivated the video encoding. But if I start recording I get the message about an unexpected error.
I also tried OGG, WAV, MP2 and M2A containers - all of that starts a record, but write onlye a 2KB file with no info inside. Mean the files a corrupt.

Hope you can help me.

Best Regards
Robert