Question / Help Virtualized Gaming and OBS... and other stuff...

Zovc

Hey!

Let me start off by explaining what I'm looking for, I'm moving into a new house and I'm trying to figure out how to set up my computers/network.

In my living room, I want to have access to a "HTPC" type setup where I can do movies, YouTube, Netflix, whatever. In my current home, my HTPC with a 750 Ti can obviously handle Steam in-home streaming and can play Dolphin or other emulators well enough. In the living room, I want to try to set up a couch co-op stream including a shot of my couches and the folks sititng on them.* In my studio, I want to put my gaming computer there and upgrade it and run a weird OBS setup/stream.** In my bedroom, probably any sort of computer will work if it can run Steam in-home streaming and do media stuff. I don't plan on streaming anything from my bedroom. :P

* This isn't a very outrageous OBS setup, it's more of a camera/lighting/microphone situation than it is making something weird work inside of OBS. I can talk more about it if you're interested, but I'll talk more about the Living Room Computer in abit.

** This is pretty weird. It's inspired by Siv HD's Playing 2 Champs at the Same Time. I want to do what Siv did with League and a few other games as I figure out ways to make them work. For a few years I've been playing with a Razer Naga Epic, and this year's new years's resolution was to be left handed. So, I've been using a left handed Razer Naga for about a month now and I've actually won two games of League using my left hand! (It's really, really hard.) Anyways, the solution I thought of was to run two Virtual Machines and run an instance of whatever game in each one, dedicating one of my Razer mice to each VM. This is not as elegant as I was hoping but it seems theoretically possible. People already do this sort of thing successfully, and there's three pretty awesome LinusTechTips videos about their multi-gamer computers, the best is probably 7 gamers, 1 cpu. The big problem is that this doesn't work as neatly as I expected, as the Virtual Machines do not run in "windows" inside of Linux or whatever operating system you'll utilize. Instead, you have to completely disable the video card in your host operating system before you can dedicate it to the VM. This means I can't use the "Monitor" or "Window" as a video source in OBS... The only solution I can think of is a capture card, can anyone else suggest an ideal capture card or a better solution?

Going off of this, my idea was to upgrade my current gaming computer, adding a second GTX 980 to where it could be a beast of a gaming machine when I wanted, or it could run as two separate gaming machines when I was doing my silly streaming idea or had a friend over or whatever. From there, the plan was to remote into the Virtual Machines using "satellite" computers (Micro PCs like NUCs or Raspberry Pis) from my living room and bedroom. Apparently video latency might be an issue, though. People have suggested KVM switches but I've had a hard time researching those.

So, this is as much of an "IT question" as it is an OBS question, but I've tried a few different forums at this point and have gotten little bits of help in each of them. Really, the most important piece of this puzzle is making OBS work with my "two computer" streaming setup, but if I can make this "one gaming server" system work in my home it sounds really fun to hack away at and make work.

Do you folks have any thoughts or suggestions? I'm going to make a reply to this thread trying to detail what all I have access to to see if we can test anything to help make this work.

Thanks in advance!

Zovc

Okay, so here's what all I have access to:

Gaming PC: Nothing too insane, it's about a year and a half old but it was pretty nuts when I bought it then. GTX 980, 16GB RAM, i7-4970k, a few hard drives (1 SSD)... I'd upgrade it, including trying to snipe a second GTX 980 off of eBay, if I were going to use it as a "server" like I'm talking about.

HTPC: Too powerful to be a HTPC, really. 8GB of ram, SSD, HDD, 750 Ti, I forget what Intel processor but could check tonight.

Technically, I could borrow Intel NUC computers from work to try room-to-room networking/remoting/whatever else out, but there are only three rooms I plan on having computers in my new place.

I have a fairly new Toshiba Satellite I use for work that's got a SSD in it and a HDMI out, which could sit in my bedroom for testing purposes.

None of these computers are representative of what I'd "actually" use in the end, but they ought to have enough muscle to see if the concept works. Let me know if there's other non-computer hardware that I might need to test stuff out and I'll reply to you and update this post.