Virtual Cables No Longer Work After Windows 10 Update

Cycrum

After the most recent Windows 10 update, all of my virtual cable software has stopped working properly, which consists of VB-Cables A, B, C, and D from vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm. Unfortunately, whenever I change my output sound channel of any of my apps to any of these virtual cables, I cannot hear a single sound from those apps. Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix this at all?

Wash37

Came here to say, I have the exact same issues. VB-Cables stopped working. Or rather what I think is happening is that OBS Audio Monitoring is no longer working, since Windows updates KB5016616 and KB5015730.

koala

If Windows performs a reinstallation, for example with updating to a newer feature update (20h2 -> 21h1 or 21h1 -> 21h2), vb-cable devices are not migrated correctly. This is an issue with these drivers. To clean up the mess, you can only uninstall them, then reinstall them, then configure OBS again to use the proper devices.

koala

After re-install, you need to re-assign all the vb-cable devices in all your apps. The new devices after re-install may have the same name as before the update, but internally they have new IDs, so they are not recognized as the old devices. You also have to redo any customization of the vb-cable devices, such as volume or the "Listen to that device" switch.

Wash37

It finally clicked for me. Thank you Koala. I went into OBS and created a new source. That did it - works now! :)

Cycrum

I reinstalled the VB-Cables and changed the sources that used the previous installations to the new ones. Do I need to set the input or output to each app to the desired VB-Cable channel? I can't hear anything from that app if I set it to input.

Cycrum

Even if I reassign the cables to any apps, I still cannot hear any apps assigned to any cables.