View and download files on camera's SDcard?

wallport

Hi all. I want to know if OBS can view and download files on an SDcard in my birdbox camera? I have this set for motion detect and I don't have an always on device to record a stream to - recording to the SDcard in the camera serves this purpose and allows viewing later. OBS does most of what I want but I can't see any way to do this - can it?

If OBS can't do this, can you suggest any other software as I'm currently relying on Internet Explorer with an ActiveX plugin.

BTW my Camera is a Golbong model bought through Green Backyard.

TIA

Wallport

FerretBomb

OBS is not a file manager, no.
You'd probably want to use some kind of standalone script through Windows Task Scheduler to transfer the files at a set time, or set to check for new files on a schedule.

What are you actually trying to do?

wallport

I don't think its a file manager I'm after. As well as watching live streams, I want to play back videos stored on the camera's SDcard and if they are of interest download them to keep.

I realise that this is not primarily what OBS is for but I did hold out some hope that since many cameras have an SDcard slot and not everyone has an always on device to send a stream to, that it might have this capability or maybe someone would have produced an add-on.

Wallport

FerretBomb

It really sounds like OBS is decidedly not the tool you're looking for.

OBS is meant specifically for sending a real-time video stream to a streaming service for production purposes. It has recording functionality built in to save that prod videostream off locally as well, but that's secondary.
It's also NOT light-weight at all; real-time video encoding requires a considerably beefy system. It's not going to run on your camera.

It would be MUCH more efficient overall to just download everything from your camera's SD card and review it locally with VLC or another video player. The files are already encoded and likely as small as they're going to get; re-encoding them by streaming them through OBS will just make them bigger, and cause quality loss to boot due to the re-encoding.

OBS is definitely NOT for watching livestreams either. It's not a media jukebox. It's a compositing and creation tool.

wallport

hmm OK - pretty sure I found out about its existence from someone using it for watching live streams but OK - guess I'll look elsewhere.

Thanks for saving me wasting time on OBS.

Wallport