Video seems grainy / 'LoFi' compared to direct camera files

Hi everyone, I've been trying out OBS (on recommendation) - I think it will help my workflow if I can learn to use it properly / set it up correctly. I try not to be that lazy guy that doesn't bother reading so I have looked around the posts and help here - as well as YT and other places before posting here. I'm not calling out the software (or devs), it seems really great and it was really simple to get up and running - also I want to say that although I haven't found a solution to my problem - IMO the direct support and the community support seems really great as well.

I'm used to recording to a pair of Zoom Q8n-4k (1080/30 for publishing online), transferring the files to computer and then editing in Resolve. This has worked well for me apart from manually operating the cameras (and then synchronising later) and spending time on the file transfer. I had always viewed OBS as 'streaming software' but a friend recommended that I could use it for recording and then do my editing in Resolve. My content is music (guitar) tuition so it's important for me that the detail and timing is satisfactory for students to see and hear it properly - it is not commercial, I earn nothing from my videos, I do it because I enjoy sharing my knowledge and wish to help and inspire others.

I wonder if there is something in the settings that I have missed. I have done test recordings and back to back tests with my cameras side by side (same camera settings) but the recording into OBS always seems a bit less quality and slightly less 'in time' than recording to the other camera and then uploading it to the computer & putting the files on adjacent tracks in Resolve.

Thank you for reading!

qhobbes

Without a log, it's hard to tell but it sounds a bit like audio drift which occurs when audio sources don't match the OBS sample rate.