Question / Help "Video output is currently active"

GLWeston

OBS 24.06, Mac Mini Catalina
When I go to "Settings", "Video" I get a message "Video output is currently active. Please turn off any outputs to change video settings". I have restarted the Mac and also deleted and reinstalled OBS without any change. I can't figure out what video output might be active (other than the external monitor).

Old Desert Lizard

I'm no expert... but it seems that anything that sends or receives video causes this pop-up message in a variety of places. I was trying to update to the latest OBS (icons for each source type!), and kept getting the error.

First, turn off any recording or streaming.

Next, if you have Virtual Cam, turn off any streams to any of the outputs: OBS-Camera, OBS-Camera2, etc. Go to the Tools>Virtual Cam menu and click the Stop button.

I think if you had the NDI plug-in, you have to make sure that's not connected as well. I'll experiment a little more and update here.

There may be other places to look...

Narcogen

Yes, those are all true. A recording session, a streaming session, and NDI output, or a VirtualCam output all qualify as "video outputs" and will prevent video settings from being changed if active.

Light Fighter

make sure these two options are turned off
1589586890084.png

ZEHNETTO

I'm no expert... but it seems that anything that sends or receives video causes this pop-up message in a variety of places. I was trying to update to the latest OBS (icons for each source type!), and kept getting the error.

Next, if you have Virtual Cam, turn off any streams to any of the outputs: OBS-Camera, OBS-Camera2, etc. Go to the Tools>Virtual Cam menu and click the Stop button.

I think if you had the NDI plug-in, you have to make sure that's not connected as well. I'll experiment a little more and update here.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! It was driving me crazy!! Problem solved. Greetings from Brasil.

CaspiansFriend

Thanks! I had the same situation. Turning off virtual cam, and also unchecking NDI Plugin options resolved it for me. I would not have thought to do both. Again, thanks for the posts!

Axel Sahulata

Hi Old Desert Lizard,

Thank you very much for your advice that have worked well for me..

Regards,
Axel