Video Lag and freezes

Devil6oul

Hi! So currently I tried to record on obs because I want to make a video for my channel on yt, but the problem is when I finished recording the game, then I preview the video it just lags and freezes but the audio is fine though, I have no issues whenn playinng while recording and no lag at all. How can I fix this?

rockstopper

You're recording at too high of a preset and your computer cannot handle it. Just use h264 CBR instead and set the bitrate to like 8-10k.

were491

Find it at File -> Settings -> Output. Basically, this uses your GPU to record the game and not the CPU. In case you were wondering, the freezing is bacause your current encoder was unable to record the video at a fast enough speed, basically. So in that tab, if you were using GPU (QSV) recording, then switch to CPU (or if the issue presists, CPU low usage preset) and the opposite for if you were using the CPU to record.

Devil6oul

obs.PNG
obs.PNGthe only option in the encoder is "x264" and "use steam encoder"my laptop specs:

Processor : Intel Core i5-6200U Processor 2.3GHz (3M Cache, up to 2.80GHz)
Graphic : NVIDIA GEFORCE 920MX (2GB DDR3L)
Memory : 8GB DDR4
Storage : 1TB 5400RPM HDD

were491

It's under "Encoder" dropdown. If you don't have it you might need to set OBS to run on your integrated graphics, but I won't get into that right now, since that can cause a lot of other issues on laptops.

More importantly, here are some other issues (or just preferences) i think might matter:

1. You're saving to mp4 and not mkv. if you save to mp4 and you crash, then you lose all of your recording. you can chooke mkv and then use the remux option under file -> remux recordings to get mp4. this way, you can have mp4 files but if you crash you can still recover the recording.

2. your bitrate is very high. 40,000 bitrate is a lot, and it's probably easier to just use CRF which controls bitrate for you. A lower CRF value will increase quality, with a good starting point being around 20.

if you still get lag, you can try to lower your cpu usage preset to superfast or ultrafast.