Question / Help Video freezing still! Please help!

kidalex

I just moved to a super-computer with ridiculous speed and memory of all of its hardware ( total cost $15K ) so I know it's able to handle almost everything... however!!! I have the same problem as the old computer which is video that I'm playing for the audience live is freezing!!! Why? What can be done about it??

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
That's an awful lot of videos to have loaded at once. Try setting the "Close file when inactive" option on them. Your log also shows no output session.

Narcogen

No output session in log.

Open OBS. Start recording or streaming. Wait until your issue manifests. Stop the output session. From the Help menu, upload the Current log without quitting OBS.

Your machine may be powerful and expensive but it's not really appropriate for use with OBS. I hope you didn't buy that for this purpose, because it's not really ideal.

Being a Quadro card, your GPU should be able to run a lot of encoding sessions, but a single instance of OBS can basically only run two (simultaneous stream and record). The card is six years old now, it's only got 2GB of VRAM when current gaming cards have as much as 8GB, and its hardware encoder is out of date. You would have been better off with a $350 or less gaming GPU with a Turing encoder, like a 1650 Super or 1660Ti. And if you had that, it's arguable that you could get away with a much, much cheaper CPU without sacrificing much in the way of quality.

The workstation Xeon processor lacks an integrated GPU, so there's no QuickSync support. You should be able to use plenty of CPU power on doing an encode here, but frankly this CPU is overkill for that.

With no output session in the log I can't see what your performance or quality issue is, although you do have an above average number of media sources, none of which are set for hardware decoding, so they're all running on your CPU.

kidalex

That's an awful lot of videos to have loaded at once. Try setting the "Close file when inactive" option on them. Your log also shows no output session.
Those videos are all set to hidden in a scene that is not even being used. Not sure why it's a concern here. Also, how do I log the output?

kidalex

With no output session in the log I can't see what your performance or quality issue is, although you do have an above average number of media sources, none of which are set for hardware decoding, so they're all running on your CPU.

First, thank you for the explanation about the hardware. Secondly, the media sources are mainly my video library that is added to a scene where all sources are "hidden" and the scene is not even being used. So, not sure why it's a concern.

Narcogen

It uses the dedicated hardware on your GPU for playing the media file.

Without that, they are all going to use CPU resources.

If those files are hidden and in a scene you aren't using, they belong in a separate scene collection. You shouldn't be trying to keep every scene and every source you might use in any session loaded into the same scene collection, it's a great way to get bad performance. Keep in individual scene collections only the scenes and sources you know you'll use in the course of a particular stream session.

kidalex

It uses the dedicated hardware on your GPU for playing the media file.

Without that, they are all going to use CPU resources.

If those files are hidden and in a scene you aren't using, they belong in a separate scene collection. You shouldn't be trying to keep every scene and every source you might use in any session loaded into the same scene collection, it's a great way to get bad performance. Keep in individual scene collections only the scenes and sources you know you'll use in the course of a particular stream session.

So, shouldn't I NOT use that feature if my CPU is really good and my GPU is so so?

Narcogen

It's just as possible to overload your GPU as your CPU, but your GPU has hardware support for h264 encoding and decoding, whereas the CPU is using its general purpose computing capacity for this, which means it consumes more load to do the same work.

That said, having too many video sources loaded in the same scene or scene collection can be problematic no matter what method is used for decoding.

It's still only speculation that this is related to your issue without a logfile that includes an output session.