Bug Report Video delay is changing for no apparent reason

unfa

I've started using audio sync controls in Mixer to compensate for video lag to have proper A/V sync in captured files.

What I do is record a short clip where I clap my hands.
Then I drop that into Blender's Video Sequence Editor and enable waveform display.
I play the whole thing to cache the frames, then I seek around the place where the audio shows my hands clapping and I find the frame on video that shows that moment. I then try to calculate the time difference and set it up in OBS
I can then verify by recording another clap and playing that in VLC or Blender. If it's not perfect, I repeat the whole thing.

After I got my Logitech C920 I had about 380 miliseconds of delay of my audio and that produced a perfect frame sync with video. Before, when I used bulit-in webcam of my Dell Latitude 3550, I had about 3-6 frames (100-200 ms) of video lagging behind audio in recorded material.

But things change around - now I have 60 ms off audio delay and that's ideal. Things seem to change randomly between OBS and system restarts, which is difficult, because every time I record I may have an A/V sync offset.

I'd like to understand what is the source of the variable video delay and if there's a way to make that constant? I don't need it to be super-small, I would just like to be sure it won't change between recordings.

EDIT: Could there be a way for OBS to measure the video lag and delay the audio accordingly to ensure A/V sync at all times?

Last edited: