Video cam not showing up as a source

Dr Cards

Hi, folks. Totally new to OBS, and a lot of services are mirky to me. First is my Canon Vixia. Powered up, connected, and OBS doesn't recognize it. HDMI mini patched to an HDMI video capture card. That in turn is feeding into my laptop via USB 3.0. I should mention OBS DOES see my built-in laptop cam, and that only. No, OBS, I want to see the video from my tripod mounted video cam, thanks. (I have other OBS issues; I guess those belong in different threads.) THank you in advance for any help!

Last edited:

carlmmii

You can go ahead and list any other issues you have here in this thread as well. The real reason for wanting to keep threads separate usually is because everyone has different hardware/software installed, so there's hardly ever a single "this is your fix" to cover everything for everyone.

Have you tested your camera's output to a separate monitor yet, just to verify that your camera is actually outputting a signal from the HDMI mini port?

What HDMI capture card are you using?

Also, please post a log file so we have a report from OBS to go off of.

Dr Cards

Awesome, Carlmmii! I'll post the other issues. Thanks. Updated log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/q2miFalAy7IEtMzV
The video capture is some stuff from China. Label says ZASLUKE. It's supposedly for Windows. Advertising on Amazon says it's for livestreaming w/ OSB as well as video games.

You asked another question. Yes, I had this system connected yesterday and saw the whole config working outside of OBS. As I await your repy I'll attempt to reverify.

Other issues: Scenes and sources. Various "How-to" videos show their experts flying over the details, such as Scenes and Sources having + / - / up arrow / down arrow buttons. My screen has none of those, and screen reset doesn't bring them back.

carlmmii

Views -> Docks -> Reset UI. If that doesn't fix things, then your window may be expanded to be larger than your desktop resolution.

The capture card appears to be one of those "generic USB3.0 capture cards", so that means it should work without any sort of any extra drivers, but it does need to be plugged in to a USB3.0 port -- it will not work over USB2.0. First thing I would try is making sure that you get a passthrough signal from the device out to another monitor, just to make sure it's at least working at a basic level. From there, I'd check how it's connected using USBview. This lets you see exactly how your USB controllers and devices are set up, including what protocol they're using.

Dr Cards

Carmmii, the Zasluke is indeed in a 3.0 USB. Tested the camcorder in a monitor 3 ft away, and got instant feedback from the camcorder's mics - along with picture on the monitor. So yeah, camcorder's working on a basic level.

The install of the Zasluke card yesterday seemed to invoke the download of "Intel Graphics Command Center," which seems more focused on gamer settings.

Now to go see your remarks on getting my OBS dashboard reset per your instructions, and a screen grab if no results, so you can see what I am seeing.

Attachments

• USB View.PNG
    USB View.PNG
    66.1 KB · Views: 147
  • Zasluke Info.PNG
    Zasluke Info.PNG
    491.9 KB · Views: 146

Dr Cards

View > Docks > reset UI ... "Jester calls No Joy."

Had to scale-down the image to attach.

Attachments

• Full OBS Screen plus.PNG
    Full OBS Screen plus.PNG
    323.7 KB · Views: 109

carlmmii

It's been a while since I've used USBview honestly... do you have an information pane on the right side when you click your device? What it's showing there is just the title it calls itself, not actually what protocol it's using to connect.

As far as the UI issue... check the known conflicts page. There may be something interfering with the way those elements are displayed. Also, do you have windows display scaling set to something other than 100%? What happens if you undock your scenes into a separate window?

Last edited:

Dr Cards

Thank you for your help, Carlmmii. I looked through a number of possible conflicts with existing software and to my knowledge, whatever issues do not seem to be coming from that quarter. One thing easy to try would be uninstall / reinstall.

carlmmii

What happens if you turn off Studio Mode? (Click the Studio button on the right)

Also, this may sound silly, but have you done a computer restart since installation?

Tomasz Góral

First add any source, in window 'Sources' click on Add select 'Video Capture Source' in new window from list select your usb card.

Dr Cards

Not silly. It's something to try.
Uninstalled / Reinstalled. OBS opened the same way as shown earlier. Likewise, coming out of Studio Mode brought no improvements.

Dr Cards

First add any source, in window 'Sources' click on Add select 'Video Capture Source' in new window from list select your usb card.

Hi, Tomasz - just noticed your suggestion. Thank you for offering a solution. Problem: OBS Studio is not fully loading for me. Not seeing + / - / arrow UP / arrow DN options. Clicking inside the 'sources' box brings up the familiar 4 or 5 options. Clicking on any of them or within the 'sources' box yields nothing.