Question / Help Very sporadic black screen with USB3HDCAP

Mango

I capture video from a camera with HDMI output connected to a StarTech.com USB3HDCAP. Latest driver version, 1.1.0.170.

Very sporadically, my captured video will suddenly be black. A restart of OBS or even a reboot of the computer doesn't solve it. The fix is to change the video source to anything non-HDMI, then change back to HDMI.

This problem will not happen for months, then happen multiple times during a single broadcast.

There is nothing in the log around the time of the issue.

Any troubleshooting suggestions would be appreciated.

Mango

This problem still exists with the latest version of OBS which I installed this morning. However, because of the sporadic nature of the problem, just because I haven't been able to make it happen with Startech's capture software does not necessarily mean the problem is caused by OBS.

I've noticed another anomoly. After this happens, my YouTube viewers report the video is slightly (less than one second) ahead of the audio. Stopping and restarting the stream did not solve the problem.

Mango

Update: the symptoms are due to static. It's 100% repeatable. As long as I touch something grounded with my other hand while using the camera, I can avoid it.

A few months ago I switched to a desktop with a grounded case (instead of the laptop) and have not been able to make the problem return.