very basic question to do basic thing from new user of OBs

plugface123

Hi,

I'm a long time user of filmora which I used for years to edit my videos. just yesterday, I tried to switch to OBs.
However, it's no so simple. I cant even get it to record.

so what i'd like to do is this...

1. sit in front of my Pc
2. look at my pc camera
3. record myself speaking
4. edit this video (hopefully with a blurred background post production or during)

this simple thing i cannot do. i searched all over youtube but all the bloggers seem interested
as a priority to share what's happening on the desktop screen. this is where we get this slightly
annoying "infinite mirror" effect that I cant see the use of.

If anyone could tell me how to record myself it would be wonderful.

so far i made one video on OBs but it came out with a dark screen and just the audio.

thanks !

koala

If you just want to record yourself from a webcam instead of recording your computer's desktop or some game, add your webcam as source instead of some display capture or game capture. You get the "infinite window", if you add a display capture source and OBS is visible on the desktop, so you capture obs, which shows a preview of what it captures ,which is obs, which shows a preview of itself, and so on. That's totally normal, and you avoid this by either minimizing obs or moving obs to a secondary monitor (recommended) or not recording your desktop with display capture in the first place.

Quick start OBS:

About adding a webcam:

About postprocessing:

Lawrence_SoCal

For just recording yourself (webcam), OBS Studio really is a WAY overly complex tool.
The point of OBS Studio is to composite (combine multiple sources, and overlay, etc that content)
Though CPU intensive, chromakeying during the Record process is doable... but you may get better results in an video editor ... ymmv
There are WAY easier tools than OBS Studio to simply record a single camera video feed

If more gamer oriented YouTube videos is NOT your thing (it is NOT mine), and reading vs watching is more yoru learning style, then these might be of use to you https://streamgeeks.us/ > Online Resources