Question / Help VCR Recording Audio Issue

Jordee93

Hello, thanks everyone for reading my post and hopefully someone will be able to help me solve my issue.

I am using the OBS program to digitize footage from old VHS tapes. I have the VCR connected to my laptop via a USB adaptor (UCEC ALL in one AV to USB cable). I am recording clips from VCRs about an hour at a time and video files are being produced to the computer fine, but then after about an hour of recording, the sound stops in the video. For an 1 hour MP4 file it produces, about 30 mins into the video, the sound cuts out, quite consistantly.

I am using this version of OBS 23.0.2 64bit on Windows 7
My log file is at the following URL: https://obsproject.com/logs/4S_ZJFB-mDXQYwCR

If there is any other information I need to provide to you guys, please let me know

Thanks!
Jordan

FerretBomb

Chances are very good you are running into a limitation on the capture device... if it's working in OBS it should keep working unless the audio buffering has to extend past the upper limit (at which point the audio source is simply dropped). Normally this happens due to the capture device not sending good audio data, which is common on lower-end capture devices. We'd need to see a logfile from a recording session where the audio-dropout happened to determine if that's the cause.
One thing you can do is if the VCR has RCA out jacks for audio, get an RCA to minijack (headphone) stereo cable, and plug it into your computer's Line In port. Then you can just set the system's Line In port as an audio input device to record.

The only down side is that there MIGHT be some audio sync drift depending on if the video capture device delivers steady pacing and/or if it has a capture delay... you can set a sync delay in the Advanced Audio Properties (click the gear icon in the Mixer section, AAP to get there) if the sync offset is stable/static. If it varies, that can be much more of a pain.

Sorry about the lengthy delay in response! Hope this helps. :)