Question / Help Using two BM Mini Recorder with OBS

Smorgasmannen

Hello!

I've been researching a bit to get into OBS Studio, and use that for some multi camera live streams. I've tested the program with one camera and thought it was a solid experience, but broadcasting with two seems to be a lot more complex than I thought, since there's a lot of capture that, 1. Doesn't work with Mac at all, 2. Need specific software to even work, 3. Has known issues with OBS. Which then narrows it down quite a bit.

My initial thought was to simply get two Mini recorders, since they're made for use with cameras and not game consoles (I'm gonna use a GH4 and a GH3). The thing is though, that I found a post here saying it wasn't possible to use two of these since they aren't made to be used in pairs/more.

But then I found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSLmbSrwLTI

So my questions is really simple, would it work similarly with OBS now, as it does on Wirecast in that video? If not, do you have any suggestion on capture cards that produce similar quality results and would work with a new 13" MBP (eg. two TB and two USB3 connections) and OBS?

I do really now want to buy a Roland V-1HD or ATEM, but I will if I have to.

Thanks in advance!

Darude

HI!

I'm in the same boat, kind of...

I have successfully streamed with OBS with a mid 2015 15" MBP OS10.10.5 with GoPro Hero 4 + Ultrastudio Mini Recorder, sounds input via Zoom H6.

Now I want to use 2 Ultrastudio Mini Recorders to input the GoPro + my desktop computer screen or another HDMI camera to add more angles and different content. I'm using Elgato TB2 Dock (so that I'll have 2 TB ports still available for 2 HDMI sources AND an ethernet port for the streaming. In the MacBook Pro system settings in the BMD Desktop Video settings I can see my two connected Mini Recorders, I can set them both to HDMI and I can get them both working in OBS separately, while the other is unplugged, but when both of them are plugged in and visible in the settings, OBS doesn't seem to "see" that there's two of them connected and thus doesn't show the picture of either of them, sometimes just black screen, sometimes a flicker, sometimes a frozen screen of something. Is there a way to make this work? Is it OBS that doesn't "get" the situation?

I'm not too interested in any more gear, like a hardware switcher etc, as streaming is a "side hobby" at the moment, and I think this SHOULD work with these gadgets and it seems to be possible with other software.

Thanks so much, if someone has a solution for this!

Ville / Darude