Using Network Assets causes terrible stutter and NVENC errors

AusBard

Hi there,

I have been troubleshooting some streaming issues and determined that using assets on a mapped drive causes terrible stutter - the more assets, the worse it gets.

By the time I got to around 10 assets in the various scenes (mostly small image overlays) i would start to receive NVENC not responding messages (paraphrasing).

I resolved the issue by making sure all assets were local.

There seems to be some sort of bug in this regard.

Cheers

vapeahoy

Just mount it to your home dir and you should be good. But it's still good to have a fast network link, and preferrably your network share
is an ssd. It caches flawlessly here, running ubuntu, 10GB lan, linking to ssd.

AusBard

are you saying the resources that are linked to are not kept cached by OBS and need to constantly poll - which creates the stutter?

is it this polling that is the actual issue?

AaronD

I don't trust networks. Yes, the final-output stream has to use one, but I also record from OBS, even though I don't plan to do anything with that recording. It's just a safety net in case the network goes belly-up, as I've seen before, so I still have something good to upload later.

For sources, I'd get them all on the local hard drive, and then use that copy. SSD would be best, but mechanical is still better than network, and internal is better than USB. If you can unplug the network cord, disable the WiFi, etc., and the *only* thing that dies is the final-output stream, that's the ideal.