Question / Help Using NDI with Mobile Hotspot

aspears

The internet at our church doesn't have the bandwidth to support live streaming (1Mbs upload). Using one of our phones as a mobile hotspot has worked as a stop-gap (faster internet coming soon). Ideally I would like to have our setup to be: Mac running PPT and OBS with NDI plugin, PC running OBS with NDI plugin and streams to Facebook. If both computers are connected to the church's Wi-Fi, the PC version of OBS sees the NDI output of the Mac no problem. Once I connect both computers to the same mobile hotspot, OBS on the PC no longer sees the NDI signal from the Mac. I've tried the following setups:

1. Both computers connected to the same mobile hotspot
2. PC connected to mobile hotspot with it's hotspot enabled. Mac connected to the PCs hotspot
3. Both computers connected to a Linksys router (flashed with DD-WRT) running in Wireless bridge mode. Router connected to the mobile hotspot

None of these setups worked, and I'm guessing it has to do with a limitation of the mobile hotspot. In all scenarios above I was able to ping the computers, so they at least could "see" each other. Does anyone know of a way to get the NDI plugin to work on computers that are connected to a mobile hotspot? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

qhobbes

Back in the day, a friend and I would occasionally share a dial-up connection with just a crossover Ethernet cable between 2 PCs. It seems like you should be able to do the same thing, no router/bridge required. Connect the phone to the PC via USB so the only wireless part is from phone to cell tower.