Bug Report Using lots of CPU?

etrnlwait

Hi all.

Basically I am streaming CS:GO @ 720p.

With OBS-MP I need to keep the stream FPS @ 30 or so and my in-game FPS is still considerably worse than when I use the old OBS with 48 or 60 fps.

Here are the logs for both OBS-MP and old OBS.

Can anyone please shed some light?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 2015-12-25 16-35-43.txt
    31.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 2015-12-06-2046-38.log
    37.3 KB · Views: 17

Gol D. Ace

In your log I see
16:54:50.258: [game-capture: 'Game Capture'] d3d9 memory capture successful

This means OBS MP is using the slower game capture.

Have you checked Multi-adapter compatibility in the game capture properties? http://i.imgur.com/QdVAdtA.png
If so please disable it, restart OBS MP and the game and try again.

Last edited:

etrnlwait

In your log I see
16:54:50.258: [game-capture: 'Game Capture'] d3d9 memory capture successful

This means OBS MP is using the slower game capture.

Have you checked Multi-adapter compatibility in the game capture properties? http://i.imgur.com/QdVAdtA.png
If so please disable it, restart OBS MP and the game and try again.
That helped a lot.

Do you know where I can find any documentation on what that check box actually does?

Thank you

Gol D. Ace

Seems you checked "Multi-adapter compatibility" option, which makes it download the game's backbuffer to RAM rather than the efficient method it normally uses, hence greater CPU usage. That option is only meant for laptop users and certain special cases. Perhaps I need to attach a "(Slower)" text to the option so people are less likely to mistakenly click on it.

Straight from @Jim the main developer of OBS.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Normally, game capture uses a very fast method where you can capture the game without very much cost, but that method only works if the game is running on the same GPU as obs, so method doesn't work in certain situations such as laptops that have multiple adapters, where obs may be running on a different GPU than the game. So, that option was added as a means of forcing a different technique that downloads the texture to RAM instead, which although always works, is considerably slower. I should probably add a "(Slow)" to the end of the label to state that it's not as efficient.