Use OBS to control webcam?

Musicarta

I just bought a Logitech 920s webcam. The Logitech webcam software for it doesn't provide zoom at 1080p, and the exposure/colour etc quality is no better than the 9000 Pro I had before.
Can I use OBS to get more out of it, or should I just send it back?
Thanks in advance.

WBE

First of all, I hope you realise that there's no zoom lense, so no optical zoom. So what you could have is cutting and stretching the camera image, as that's what digital zooming is. Most modern smartphones have a many megapixel lense so digital zooming can yield quite acceptable results (as long as the output is not meant for big billboard ish screens). But most webcams do not have such lenses. So if the webcam can provide 1080p and you're streaming/recording with the same resolution, please be aware that useful digital zooming is limited. It can be usefull though to i.e. cut out some window with strong backlight near the edges of your camera's view.
digital-zoom[pexels-jéshoots-4831.jpg

(Note that this image does not reflect typical webcam's depth of field capabilities.)

I guess it is quite safe to say that the vendor's software will support all features of the webcam. So if there's no zoom, the webcam probably does not support it. I did not find it at Logitech's website either. Depending on your expectations on purchase, you could consider returning the camera.

Of course you can do a bit of digital zooming yourself within OBS Studio by dragging the red box around the webcam's source, resizing and rearranging it.

Musicarta

Thanks for this. Yes, I know about optical vs digital zoom. The Logitech webcam software for my previous model had maybe 8-step 'zoom', but the same software for the 920 does not have that (at 1080p, but does at 720p) and the Logitech website baldly states they know it doesn't work and aren't going to fix it.
Actually, the picture really doesn't look any better; trimming in post-production doesn't really work for me and, to cap it all, I was burglarised last night, and the webcam went along with the laptop and a few other bits and bobs.
So that's solved that problem, in a way.