usb video issue with win10

wharristx

hello all.... having some issues with obs studio and usb capture devices.. in win 10 64-bit

I have 2 hdmi usb capture cards (generic not elegato) connected to 2 canon HF R500 camcorders..

win 10 camera app sees both cams no problem.. both are labeled USB VIDEO in dev mgr.

here's the problem. obs will not let me use both of them as a video cap device since their both labeled USB VIDEO. once I select one of them... the other one will not work, I get nothing on screen... i know both usb cap cards work since the camera app displays both images when I select either one... but since they are both named USBVideo.... obs will only allow one to be used. however BOTH are shown as a video source in obs

can anybody tell me why??

FerretBomb

This wouldn't be an OBS side thing. You can use identically-named devices without an issue in OBS. Chances are good that the driver or firmware they use is not coded to account/allow for more than one device to be used simultaneously. This is a pretty common problem with off-brand/cheap chineseum capture devices, unfortunately.

wharristx

well.. there were no drivers installed ... it was plug n play... std win 10 drivers... on other apps (skype ms camera)..etc) both work and both are displayed.. as soon as I select one of them as the vidsource for a scene... it shows in obs... but another scene with the other selected as a vidsource.. nothing.... tried selecting one first. and then reselcting the other one first.. both show in obs.. but as soon as I select the other one.. no image.. it's almost as if obs is locking it out... the FPS is normal on one and RED in the other.. went into the registry and changed the friendly name to usb video1 that shows in dev mgr but not in obs.....hmmmmmmmm

wharristx

this IS AN OBS PROBLEM.. once you select a vid source obs will not allow you to select it again for another scene... it thinks the 2 usb video's are the same device.. i experimented with another camera labelled usb2.0and the same results... and yes i've pulled and inserted both capture devices and re booted.. and it works with either device, but not both at the same time.. but it displays both.. just when you have both cap cards in it displays both cards as usb video... it still thinks they are one device...... ... in devmgr it shows both as usb video....

wharristx

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!! by changing the resolution/fps type to CUSTOM setting resolution to 1280x720 fps to 30 and video format to mjpeg i now have both cameras working in obs..

carlmmii

If that was the fix, then you were running into a bandwidth limitation by having both devices connected to the same USB host controller.

To avoid this problem entirely, ensure your devices are connected to separate USB host controllers so that they have the full USB2.0 bandwidth available to them.

bioman

Hello,

I also have several HDMI USB CAPTURE devices from ebay which work pretty well.
Windows 10 recongnizes each one as USB Capture and in the sources I can see (when I have two of them connected) two selections both with the same name.

I found a way to change the name in the device manager of windows by following this guide: Rename USB devices

Then both of them are displaied with a different name in windows device manager.

But for some reason OBS still gets the previous name. I hope in a newer version they will find a solution to get the USB name from the friendly name tag in the registery.

MlleHailey

Hello, sorry for my English, I use google translate.
I have exactly the same problem, did you find a solution to the problem?
Thank you for your answer